Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Info about Wyeast 4632 Dry Mead Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
Boerderij_Kabouter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Info about Wyeast 4632 Dry Mead Yeast

Hi everybody,

I have been trying to find some information about Wyeast 4632 (Dry Mead). I started a dry mead with this yeast in mid-November. Standard mead recipe, 3 lbs/g orange blossom honey, and a few cups of heather tips. This should be a subtle varietal mead and I am hoping it will finish out rather dry. I used energizer and nutrient as well.

This is my first time using this yeast. All other meads have been fermented with various wine yeasts and finish in or around 1 month with main fermentation, or at least with visible bubbling.

This mead (Nov. 07) is still chugging away pumping out a bubble in the air lock once every 20 seconds! I know, I know... RDWHAHB. I was just curious if anyone else has had this. 18% ABV is a lot and I expected this ferment to take a while, but a 4 month primary fermentation is setting new records for me.

Thanks for any info you have.
Justin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

No one has used 4632? Or did I write to long a novel?

Old 03-18-2008, 10:32 PM   #3
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I don't like dry mead...so I have not.

My question is, what was the OG, and what is the current gravity?

Airlock activity means nothing unless you can quantify it with a gravity reading.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 03-18-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Sorry, can't believe I didn't post that...

11/02/07: OG = 1.094
12/25/07: SG = 1.064
01/06/07: SG = 1.058

Haven't checked since January. This mead has been at a steady 70-71 degF the entire time and has been racked twice when the lees got over 1/2 inch thick.

I'm not all that worried about it just rather curious.

Thanks for the help!

Old 03-19-2008, 03:19 AM   #5
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

that IS weird. I've used their sweet mead strain a few times, and it hits 12-13% ABV in about a months time (goes really slow at the end).

kinda looks like it got stuck. at this point I'd suggest repitching. you could use lavin EC 1118 which is supposed to be great at re-starting a stuck fermentation, and it'll get dry too.

only other suggestion is adding fruit. my raspberry mead in my signature wasn't originally a melomel but I used about 5 lbs of raspberries, and that kicked off fermentation and dropped me another 30-35 points.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 03-20-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Seriously... No love for dry mead? Am I the only one? Thanks for the replies Malkore, I know airlock activity is not a sure sign of fermentation, but at the same time I don't think the beer is magically creating bubbles with having some activity. This leads me to think that fermentation has not stalled but is just plugging away at the same slow and steady pace it has been the whole time.

If anyone has used this yeast before, please chime in and just let me know how it worked out for you. Or just give us poor dry mead lovers some assurance we are not alone in the world!

Old 05-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #7
rhag1128
Recipes 

I have used this yeast before and had to repitch with lalvin on a dry cherry mead. I would recommend that, or add another pound of honey- or better yet do both.

I wonder if Rien Poortvliet intended his drawings as beer labels.........I probably shouldn't complain as I will use Maxfield Parish's Ecstasy on my Blueberry mead once in bottle.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:10 PM   #8
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Good pick-up on the Poortvliet

This batch is still bubbling away!!! Unbelievable! It is still maintained at ~71 degF and bubbling once or twice every minute. I have not taken a gravity reading in months nor had a sample so I cannot say with certainty what is going on in there, but it is still producing CO2. I will comment more when it finishes. On the upside, maybe if it takes a year to ferment, it will be almost ready when we bottle it. (probably not)

Why did you have to repitch? Similar problem? Or did yours get stuck?

Old 05-07-2008, 05:10 PM   #9
rhag1128
Recipes 

I wonder if the Wyeast cant tolerate above 13% Mine finished out in the 18-19 range and very dry after adding the Lalvin 1118. I was trying to recreate some Rocky Mountain Mead I sampled. There were plenty of cherry trees in the back yard.... My Lab loved to eat the low hanging fruit and leave huge piles of cherry pits around the back yard.

I left mine for 2 years after final racking. That was some good mead. It took me over a year to drink the 5 gal.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:25 PM   #10
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Default 4632 Info

This is from Wyeast

Quote:
YEAST STRAIN: 4632 | Dry Mead™

Back to Yeast Strain List

Best choice for dry mead. Used in many award winning meads. Low foaming with little or no sulfur production. Use additional nutrients for mead making.

Origin: France
Flocculation: Low-medium
Attenuation: NA
Temperature Range: 55-75°F, 13-24°C
Alcohol Tolerance: 18% ABV
Quote:
STYLE: Dry Mead

Back to Styles List

Aroma: Honey aroma may be subtle, although not always identifiable. Sweetness or significant honey aromatics should not be expected. If a honey variety is declared, the variety should be distinctive (if noticeable). Different types of honey have different intensities and characters. Standard description applies for remainder of characteristics.

Appearance: Standard description applies.

Flavor: Subtle (if any) honey character, and may feature subtle to noticeable varietal character if a varietal honey is declared (different varieties have different intensities). No to minimal residual sweetness with a dry finish. Sulfury, harsh or yeasty fermentation characteristics are undesirable. Standard description applies for remainder of characteristics.

Mouthfeel: Standard description applies, although the body is generally light to medium. Note that stronger meads will have a fuller body. Sensations of body should not be accompanied by noticeable residual sweetness. Overall Impression: Similar in balance, body, finish and flavor intensity to a dry white wine, with a pleasant mixture of subtle honey character, soft fruity esters, and clean alcohol. Complexity, harmony, and balance of sensory elements are most desirable, with no inconsistencies in color, aroma, flavor or aftertaste. The proper balance of sweetness, acidity, alcohol and honey character is the essential final measure of any mead.

Ingredients: Standard description applies. Traditional Meads feature the character of a blended honey or a blend of honeys. Varietal meads feature the distinctive character of certain honeys. "Show meads" feature no additives, but this distinction is usually not obvious to judges.

Comments: See standard description for entrance requirements. Entrants MUST specify carbonation level and strength. Sweetness is assumed to be DRY in this category. Entrants MAY specify honey varieties.

Commercial Examples: White Winter Dry Mead, Sky River Dry Mead

Quick Reply