Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Impatient Manís Mead?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 06:35 AM   #11
Bosh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

We'll see. I can get apple juice, it's just painful if I have to buy five gallons 6-8 liters or so, well I'm cheap but not THAT cheap...

I could go with the cranberry/grape mix I got from Costco when it was on sale. The wine I made from that (with a bit of corn syrup and some artificial sugar with champagne yeast) was freaking amazing, definitely my best brew, probably around 10% ABV and you could barely taste any alcohol bite at all even when it was pretty new.

I think I'll steer clear of the braggort, as good as that'd probably taste. Due to kids I just don't have the time to putter around the stove betting the wort ready, boiling the hops, etc. etc. and then cleaning up after the crushed steeping grains and whatnot. Hence the attraction of mead, making the fruit wine was awesome since all I did was dump six gallons of juice (with the syrup and fake sugar) and yeast in a bucket and let it go to town. But once the kids are a bit older/I have my free time I'll be making braggorts for sure...

My current plan is about 7ish liters of apple juice and 4ish kilos of honey in a 6 gallon batch (with tea + raisins) using Lalvin 71b yeast (reducing the maltic acid will do good for keeping it from tasting too sour for people who aren't me). That's more honey and less apples than most cysers, but that's what I'm looking for more or less. Maybe a little stronger, dunno and just suck it up and wait it out for at least six months... Am thinking 3 months primary, three months in bottles or so... Might stick a bit of artificial sweetener syrup in and swish it around a bit before bottling if its too dry...

Thanks for the help all!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 01:10 AM   #12
Kunkemonster
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hello fellow ROK brewer! I've made a braggot ferment down in 3 weeks with yeast nutrient additions and de-gassing. http://homebrewkorea.com/forum/discu...braggot#Item_8 You should post on HBK, we have meetups every few weeks/months and talk shop.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:46 AM   #13
Bosh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunkemonster View Post
Hello fellow ROK brewer! I've made a braggot ferment down in 3 weeks with yeast nutrient additions and de-gassing. http://homebrewkorea.com/forum/discu...braggot#Item_8 You should post on HBK, we have meetups every few weeks/months and talk shop.
Very cool, based on the honey ale I brewed I'd love to give braggort a shot eventually. I don't think I have the skill for that sort of thing but would love to try to get to one of the meetups but hard with the kids (youngest is just a year and a half). The last thing I brewed was in 2008 when my wife was pregnant with the first kid and am just trying to get back into it now and want to try something easy...

Quick Reply