Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > If one were to not use Orange in JAOM....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1584 Times on 1117 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Default If one were to not use Orange in JAOM....

Hi folks. Sorry to bother you with a question you've probably received a lot. I'm at work or Id go through all the stickies etc.

SWMBO, who is incredibly supportive btw, asked me the other day "the next batch you make, can it be with a fruit other than oranges?" Apparently the orange isnt to her taste.

So, if you were like me, broke, and hoping to use the cheap honey you have available, bread yeast and raisins in a JAOM-like mead, but use a different fruit, could such a thing be done? If so, what would you use?

Are the oranges there to provide acid? If thats the case, could one get freaky and use, say... limes?

Again, apologies for the annoyance

James

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
Insomniac
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I've not tried it, but I have seen people swapping out the fruit and some of the spices to make similar meads to a JOAM, but obviously results are not garenteed!
I've spotted people on here doing it with berries, apples and pineapples I think. Most seemed happy with the outcome though I can't point you at any exact examples (also at work!)

Old 09-20-2011, 03:36 AM   #3
pilot210
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

James,

Check out the Recipes | Mead link at the top of the page...lots of good recipes in there. FYI, my last batch was a blackberry mead. Basically, blackberries, honey, and yeast, though not bread yeast. It tasted pretty good last month when I bottled it...aging should only make it better.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks guys, I actually got a chance to read and found, as per insomniac, someone who used pineapple and was pleased. I think we have a winner. Now if I can just get myself to stop bottling with micro-lees still in the bottle Ill be all set.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:04 AM   #5
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Thanks guys, I actually got a chance to read and found, as per insomniac, someone who used pineapple and was pleased. I think we have a winner. Now if I can just get myself to stop bottling with micro-lees still in the bottle Ill be all set.
As has already been pointed out, there's a million and one recipes/methods out there for types of fruit meads.

Now if you were thinking of a JAO type recipe, but with different fruit ? Well the only one of mine that came out tasting good, was one with Lemon instead of orange. All the others, including one with Lime weren't that good at all.

Likewise, making JAO type recipes with wine yeast. It's not (IMO) a recipe that lends itself to being dry.

Joe also produced a quick pyment recipe (made with grape juice) that apparently comes out really good.

Any recipes are only "a google" away - I believe there's a recipe section hereabouts, plus you could always have a dig through Gotmead as there's lots of recipes there to try (both the forums and their main site).....

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 09-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks again bloke. I wound up trying out pineapple last night, and will tell you how that goes. I also put together a "what the heck lets see what happens" Cyser that is bubbling away. You will all doubtlessly disapprove mightily of that recipe, so I wont post here, but I'm really interested in seeing what happened. If it comes out well I plan on calling it "Day Job Orchestra APPLEJUICE Mead" in honor of our Canadian brewers. SWMBO put the absolute kibosh on my original idea, "Big Dickens Cyser"

Old 09-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
funkapottomous
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 21

the first mead/melomel I threw together was pomegranate/blueberry/pineapple/orange.

it came out tasting DELICIOUS. Like alcoholic grape juice, which was odd considering that it had no grapes in it. I only let it ferment for a month or two, and was using bread yeast, but it was good. The sweetness of all the fruit juice allowed me to serve it faster than any other mead I've made. The "hotness" of the alcohol was masked very well, and it made a great apertif. We chilled it, poured it into some small juice glasses about halfway full (about 5 oz) and SWMBO, her family, and myself got kinda pretty drunk off one bottle.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/pome...l-mead-172133/

not exactly a recipe, but that was my process at the time.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Go to the store and buy a bag of frozen mixed berries. Adding this instead of the orange will give you a tasty mead.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:34 PM   #9
MeadHorn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
Joe also produced a quick pyment recipe (made with grape juice) that apparently comes out really good.
I can attest to this. If your SWMBO likes a medium bodied semi-dry to sweet red wine (depending on how much you backsweeten), then you should give Joe's quick grape a shot. It's drinkable when it's ready to bottle (4-6 weeks). Although I just bottled mine, I understand like most wines and meads it is superb after it's aged for a bit, so I'm going to hold of on imbibing until early next year.

As far as the cost of it, you would need to get some specialized ingredients not readily available at your local grocery store, but not at all expensive (the wine yeast, 1 oz bottle of potassium sorbate, and 100 Campden tablets will set you back $5, and you'll get many uses from the sorbate and Campden). If your SWMBO is okay with these purchases, you should definitely give this recipe a shot!

Last edited by MeadHorn; 09-21-2011 at 05:35 PM. Reason: spelling...

Old 09-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #10
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

You guys are gents. Now, at the risk of having bloke fly to new york with the express purpose of slapping me silly, can/should I use knox gelatin to get the micro-lees down once Ive had good clarity and taste?

On previous batches I have had gloriously clear mead with nice flavor, only to have the whole bottle jostle and cloud (and make nasty yeasty byproduct flavors come up)

Quick Reply