New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > i made a mistake.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
DashCooper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default i made a mistake.

ok, so in my first batches I didn't realize I was supposed to let oxygen access the must for a few days. I mixed it, and capped it. now the fermentation has stopped after 7 days.
Would it be a mistake at this point to mix in some oxygen to restart the fermentation process? I've heard adding oxegen can "skunk" the brew.
I have yet to take a gravity reading, but based on the yeast I used I'm almost positive that it has room to go..

thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
Intheswamp
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

How does it smell? I would think you need to get some oxygen to the yeast and see if they can recoup enough to consume the sugars. What is your recipe(s)? Have you added any nutrients?

Ed

Old 01-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
MeadMax
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Go ahead and add oxygen. That should restart it.
Also add some yeast nutrient and yeast enegizer to help it.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
DashCooper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

it smells good. my 5 gallon batch is an orange vanilla clove mix with 3.5 lbs of honey per gallon. I added nutrient after I dropped the fruit (I let it sit in the must for a few days.) used mead yeast.
The one gallon was with champaign yeast and has 3lbs of honey and 4 oz of ginger root. this one has been Gung-ho from the start. I haven't checked t at all, and in fact it might be close to done... but again I have no experience to back up that suspicion.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Devo9
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 53

If this mead has been going for a few days already, the DO NOT add oxygen. You will most likely ruin your brew. Mead takes a while to ferment, and if you had some initial fermenting, then it probably had "enough" oxygen. Not an idea amount maybe, but it is too late to worry about that.

If you want to help it out, you could try giving it a gentle stir to see if CO2 is released. This can lower the pH of the must and slow things down, or even stop the process. You should also make sure that the brew is warm enough, but not too warm. Each yeast has it's own ideal fermentation temperatures. A quick google search should get you that info. If it is too cold, things will slow down or stop.

Forget about adding oxygen for this batch, but try to remember it for the next one.

The only exception would be if your brew really hasn't dropped below the 3/4 sugar break yet (I personally try to keep oxygen out shortly before the 1/2 sugar break). If you have your OG and SG reading we can confirm that this isn't the case.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
Devo9
Recipes 

If you brew is slowing down, a little yeast nutrients can really do wonders. Have you added any nutrients yet?

Old 01-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashCooper View Post
I have yet to take a gravity reading, but based on the yeast I used I'm almost positive that it has room to go..

thoughts?
You cannot judge fermentation on airlock activity or number of days...use your hydrometer. I do not introduce 02 once I am past the maximum of 10 days or 2/3 sugar break, whichever comes first. Nutrients are split in two doses, at start and 1/3 sugar break...you can OD on them.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 01-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
DashCooper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

*update*

The 5 gallon batch started again all on it's own.. Im going to leave it I think. there's quite a bit of headspace since I transferred from a bucket to a carboy.
I checked the gravity of the gallon batch. it's finished. S.G. read 1.003 after adjustment, which is a little drier than I wanted it. It sits at 12% alcohol.
As it sits to clear I'm deciding if I want to back-sweeten or not.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
DashCooper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

that gallon batch finished in 10 days... I'm guessing it needs to sit and mellow for a while.. :-)

Old 01-24-2013, 01:36 AM   #10
Devo9
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashCooper View Post

...there's quite a bit of headspace since I transferred from a bucket to a carboy...
Be careful, a large headspace can lead to an infection. Watch it carefully and consider topping it up

Quick Reply