Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > I could just be paranoid, but...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013, 04:39 AM   #1
SpaceCowboy1002
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I could just be paranoid, but...

This weekend I finally managed to start brewing my orange blossom mead, everything seems to be going smoothly, a good amount of activity on the yeast's part...but is it normal for it to smell a little funky? It's kind of a honey/mold kind of smell.

This is an odd question, yes, but I'm only concerned because this is my third attempt at a mead after a failing at a tej and another orange blossom mead that I attempted this saturday ( rehydrated the yeast at a dangerous temperature, D'OH) so this is the farthest I've ever gotten trying to brew something and really just want some peace of mind about this... I made a point to sanitize all my equipment before I started again. I seek your wisdom yet again...is this funky smell normal? I just really want to be sure that this won't be another wasted effort DX Thanks for your time!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
fatbloke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Yeast is a mould/fungi so some of that sort of odour isn't unusual.

The smells to watch for are vinegar (obviously) and hydrogen sulphide/rotten egg. There's a few possible remedies for vinegar/acetobacter if caught early (google is your friend) and H2S/rotten egg is unmistakable...... rapid aeration and nutrients/energiser to remove the pong and stop the yeast being stressed.

With reasonable hygiene regimes and proper nutrition, both issues are infrequent.........

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply