Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > I bottled my Atomic Fireball Mead today.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2009, 06:09 AM   #1
BeerRunner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: near Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 107
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Atomic Fireball: Update from Randy Mosher

When I poured the cinnamon oil in, I was very disappointed to see it acting like an oil in water. It made little globs and sunk to the bottom. I stirred it around a bit and I guess that did some good. The sample I drank did have more cinnamon taste than one I tried before adding the oil. I have read that drinking it is like drinking the candy, and I would agree. I did, however, notice a slight "young mead" taste to it. I do think that aging will help it.

I started it in early January. I think it turned out well. I'll definitely make more.

Edit Originally titled "I bottled my Atomic Fireball Mead today"

__________________

Last edited by BeerRunner; 12-15-2009 at 01:19 AM. Reason: update from Randy Mosher
BeerRunner is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
nystevecf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
nystevecf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 252
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerRunner View Post
When I poured the cinnamon oil in, I was very disappointed to see it acting like an oil in water. It made little globs and sunk to the bottom. I stirred it around a bit and I guess that did some good. The sample I drank did have more cinnamon taste than one I tried before adding the oil. I have read that drinking it is like drinking the candy, and I would agree. I did, however, notice a slight "young mead" taste to it. I do think that aging will help it.

I started it in early January. I think it turned out well. I'll definitely make more.
Pictures? Too bad you couldnt bottle it with those mini fireballs.
__________________
nystevecf is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
BeerRunner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: near Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 107
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

I'll try to get a photo when I come home from work today. Headed out the door right now.

__________________
BeerRunner is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
MarcJWaters
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 122
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I demand that SOMEONE post the recipe for this mead. DEMAND!

__________________

Please donate generously to my account so that I may become a Premium Supporter.

MarcJWaters is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
bubbachunk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Smith
Posts: 645
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcJWaters View Post
I demand that SOMEONE post the recipe for this mead. DEMAND!
It is from radical brewing, if nobody beats me to it I will post it later today.
__________________
bubbachunk is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #6
Emerald
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 237
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default

I want to see a recipe too! I was looking to see how many of those little 'Red Hots" he used in the mead!! I love those little candies!
I was thinking that it would be the best RED mead!
__________________
Emerald is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 07:14 PM   #7
bubbachunk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Smith
Posts: 645
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Recipe
15 # light flavored honey

50 atomic fireballs, soaked in hot water overnight, then added to water in kettle and dissolve before the honey is added.

1 to 2 boxes Celestial seasonings Red Zinger tea (for color), added at the end of pasteurization and allowed to steep for 10 minutes.

1 oz cinnamon oil, added to the secondary or at bottling.

__________________
bubbachunk is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 07:20 PM   #8
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Nurmey's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 4,001
Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Next time you might want to try a water soluble flavoring.

http://www.bickfordflavors.com/item.asp?id=141&range=3

__________________
Batch 1 Brewing
The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.
Nurmey is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #9
MarcJWaters
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 122
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
Recipe
15 # light flavored honey

50 atomic fireballs, soaked in hot water overnight, then added to water in kettle and dissolve before the honey is added.

1 to 2 boxes Celestial seasonings Red Zinger tea (for color), added at the end of pasteurization and allowed to steep for 10 minutes.

1 oz cinnamon oil, added to the secondary or at bottling.
So I am assuming that is 15 pounds honey?

How do you keep the water warm overnight? Room temp?

I am assuming this is a 5 gallon yield?
__________________

Please donate generously to my account so that I may become a Premium Supporter.

MarcJWaters is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
bubbachunk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Smith
Posts: 645
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcJWaters View Post
So I am assuming that is 15 pounds honey?

How do you keep the water warm overnight? Room temp?

I am assuming this is a 5 gallon yield?
Yes that is the pound sign
5 gallon batch, and I have never made it just copied from radical brewing.
__________________
bubbachunk is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Atomic Fireball: Does the tea add more than color? BeerRunner Mead Forum 1 01-18-2009 09:51 PM
Atomic Fireball: 20 hours and no activity. RDWHAHB? BeerRunner Mead Forum 8 01-09-2009 04:25 PM
Fireball Mead from AHA Conference eulipion2 Mead Forum 15 01-04-2009 01:23 AM
Traditional Mead Bottled today. User_05_28_08 Home Brewing Photo Forum 9 05-23-2008 08:00 PM
Bottled Today cge0 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 09-30-2007 04:42 PM