*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > How much yeast to use

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2008, 04:15 AM   #1
ruger12pk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How much yeast to use

Im going to make my first 5 gallon batch of Mead here shortly...Should I use one or two packets of yeast? I plan on using K-V1116 yeast. I thought about trying JAOM as a first big batch. Advice? Ideas?

"I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, I love only that which they defend.”

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 08:54 AM   #2
flowerysong

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

One packet should be enough for five gallons of a normal gravity must, but it won't hurt anything to throw an extra packet in (and may help your peace of mind).

Primary #1 - Empty
Primary #2 - Empty
Secondary #1 - The Jolly Toper's Undrinkable Ale
Secondary #2 - Empty

Old 01-07-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
thomasaaron
Recipes 

I recently learned from reading The Compleat Meadmaker that yeast replicates/reproduces at a phenomenal rate once you use it. So, that 2-1/4 teaspoons really ends up being FAR more than that. Which would explain the huge pile of yeast carcasses on the bottom of the jug.

So, one packet should be fine.

To register an opinion is human. To ask a question is divine.

Visit my blog to discuss Mead and Things.

Or have a look at my personal Mead Log.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger12pk View Post
Im going to make my first 5 gallon batch of Mead here shortly...Should I use one or two packets of yeast? I plan on using K-V1116 yeast. I thought about trying JAOM as a first big batch. Advice? Ideas?
I see alot of experienced mead makers using 2 packets (10g total) of yeast in a normal 5 gal batch and 2 packets if the OG is excessive. This is what I have been doing recently. I think 5g of yeast is under pitching but ofcourse it will ferment, however adding additional yeast should help the ferment finish faster with less stress.

Consider yeast pitching rates for beer. The better dry beer yeast packets are 11g of yeast. This is pitched in wort that is usually 1.060 or less. Mead is a similar volume of 1.100 or better. 5g of yeast seem pretty lite by comparison.

Craig

Old 01-07-2009, 10:45 PM   #5
ruger12pk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
I see alot of experienced mead makers using 2 packets (10g total) of yeast in a normal 5 gal batch and 2 packets if the OG is excessive. This is what I have been doing recently. I think 5g of yeast is under pitching but ofcourse it will ferment, however adding additional yeast should help the ferment finish faster with less stress.

Consider yeast pitching rates for beer. The better dry beer yeast packets are 11g of yeast. This is pitched in wort that is usually 1.060 or less. Mead is a similar volume of 1.100 or better. 5g of yeast seem pretty lite by comparison.

Craig
Thanks CBBaron!, I went ahead and pitched two packets of K-V1116 yeast into my Orange, Cinnamon Mead. Now we wait......

"I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, I love only that which they defend.”

Old 01-07-2009, 10:53 PM   #6
etp777
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Are you pitching the yeast straight in or making a starter first? Using a starter will way more than double yeast you're starting out with,a nd can help ease the acclimitaztion (ok, not even closed to spelled right, but you konw what I mean) to the must.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:51 PM   #7
ruger12pk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by etp777 View Post
Are you pitching the yeast straight in or making a starter first? Using a starter will way more than double yeast you're starting out with,a nd can help ease the acclimitaztion (ok, not even closed to spelled right, but you konw what I mean) to the must.

I actually made starters from both packets...I pitched the second an hour after the first.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:47 AM   #8
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger12pk View Post
I actually made starters from both packets...I pitched the second an hour after the first.
Do you mean you just re-hydrated the yeast or actually made a starter for 2 days before pitching?
Either way, two packets will provide a strong population to ferment the must.
If you make up a healthy starter two days before from one packet you will be fine also.
If you just pitch one packet, depending on the age, etc you may have a stressed out yeast fermentation. Still OK for me, my taste buds are not that refined to notice a difference. But if we are talking about best practices here, a starter ensures healthy yeast, and the smell will warn you of any infection after two days.
Best of luck.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:57 AM   #9
ruger12pk
Recipes 

Well, ok...

I thought rehydrating WAS making a starter?...Im obviously missing a technique here..please explain the process of makiing a starter 2 days in advance...its all new to me!

Old 01-08-2009, 04:07 AM   #10
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Making a starter is simply adding yeast to a well airated must/wort that is in a small sanitized container, this allows the yeast to take off, reproduce, etc. After two to three days you have a very healthy starter that can be pitched into the must.
There a ton of threads here that cover it, along with yeast washing etc.
In either case, don't worry about it. You pitched a good yeast population that will do the job. The rest is "good practices" but not required.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Quick Reply