Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > how much yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
VermontFreedom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default how much yeast?

I've been making mead recipes from a book. Each recipe is for one gallon. Each recipe recommends one package of yeast. If I want to make 2 or 3 or 5 gallons, should I increase the yeast amount concomitantly? When I make regular wine, I still use only one packet. Would more yeast produce more alcohol, or would there just be too little food for extra yeast? What yeast is best for mead: montrachet, champagne, or are others (I prefer dried packages rather than liquids)?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2006, 08:31 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

The Great Mead Experiment is on this page. They compared five or six different yeasts.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-18-2006, 12:19 AM   #3
ALPS
Recipes 

Two 5 gram packs of dry yeast should be sufficient for a 5 gallon mead. Don't forget to proof! One pack should be enough for a 2 or 3 gallon batch. More will not hurt, but might be a waste though it's doubtful a homebrewer could overpitch.

More yeast will not make more alcohol, only more sugar ( a higher OG) will.

The best mead yeast? That's entirely up to the meadmaker...

A fool and his money are soon partying.

Old 06-19-2006, 04:47 AM   #4
DarkStar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One packet of yeast is good for up to 5 gallons, extra packets of yeast will just increase the amount of yeast to start so fermentation starts quicker. D47 from lavin is a good yeast for mead, along with 71b for some types of melomel are good safe yeasts.

Quick Reply