Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > How much water is needed in a 1 gallon batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009, 02:31 AM   #1
Sumo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How much water is needed in a 1 gallon batch

Hello,

First time mead maker. I just bought 3lbs of Clover Honey From Traders Joes. i want to make a 1 gallon batch of Mead. How much water is needed to make one gallon? I'm going to heat it up to pasturize it, and then let it cool down to pitching temp before I add it to the gallon container. i was going to use a blender to airate it.

-Sumo

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2009, 10:39 AM   #2
Poobah58
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Don't heat the honey! Pasteurizing is not necessary. 12#'s of honey is about 1 gallon...

Old 04-30-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
Sumo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah58 View Post
Don't heat the honey! Pasteurizing is not necessary. 12#'s of honey is about 1 gallon...
I think I stated my question wrong. I have a 1 gallon glass jug that I want to make a 1 gallon test batch. Never made it before. From what I have read I need 3.2 quarts of water and 3 lbs of honey will make one gallon in the fermenter. Is that correct? I dont need much head space in the jug?

Also you don't need to pasturize the honey?

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

Old 04-30-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

The amount of water you add is determined by your projected starting gravity. Do you have a hydrometer? Are you adding anything other than honey and water? What do you plan to do for nutrients? Honey is deficient in nutrients and it's difficult to successfully ferment just water and honey. I'd suggest at least tossing in a handful of raisins to give the yeast something to eat.

It would be better to do your primary fermentation in a plastic pail. If not, just add water to about the shoulder of your jug. You'll need 3-4 inches at least depending upon the yeast and any other additives you might be using.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
Snuffalupagus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersolstice View Post
The amount of water you add is determined by your projected starting gravity. Do you have a hydrometer? Are you adding anything other than honey and water? What do you plan to do for nutrients? Honey is deficient in nutrients and it's difficult to successfully ferment just water and honey. I'd suggest at least tossing in a handful of raisins to give the yeast something to eat.

It would be better to do your primary fermentation in a plastic pail. If not, just add water to about the shoulder of your jug. You'll need 3-4 inches at least depending upon the yeast and any other additives you might be using.

this guy is a mead pro - so do as he says.

you can always top up the water after a week to eliminate headspace after initial fermentation subsides.

you'll need the additional nutrient - either the raisins or a commercialy available yeast nutrient. really just follow the suggestions in the sticky at the top of the mead forum and you can't go wrong.
(I did mine seat of the pants style... but after reading the sticky I realized I did do everything mostly right.)
also remember mead production is measured in months not weeks... and aging for some styles can get into YEARS... so take your time and be patient.
Drinking: "All Apple" Apfelwein, Mixed Berry Country wine, Blueberry Belgian White ale.

comming to a carboy near you...
Redhook ESB clone

Old 04-30-2009, 09:44 PM   #6
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffalupagus View Post
this guy is a mead pro - so do as he says.
lol - hardly! I'm just an enthusiastic amateur, just like everyone else making mead on this board. I just have 5-6 years more experience than many of you.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:08 PM   #7
Snuffalupagus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersolstice View Post
lol - hardly! I'm just an enthusiastic amateur, just like everyone else making mead on this board. I just have 5-6 years more experience than many of you.

ah... Modesty becomes you.
Drinking: "All Apple" Apfelwein, Mixed Berry Country wine, Blueberry Belgian White ale.

comming to a carboy near you...
Redhook ESB clone

Quick Reply