Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > How much honey to carbonate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
bluefoxicy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How much honey to carbonate?

I'm going to do my first batch of mead soon, after I move the beer over to a secondary and make 5 gallons of soda (that'll take all of an hour to get to bottle).

I'm thinking I'll bottle 2.5 gallons of sweet mead, and then add extra honey and finish bottling to make about 2.5 gallons of carbonated sweet mead as well. I've never had either so I figured I'd make both, eh? Though I have no idea how much honey to add........

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Think again. (Sorry That Sounds Rude) and I don't really want to be a party Pooper here.
There are only a few ways to get carbonated sweet mead.
1. Force Carb using a keg setup.
2. Use a yeast strain that will COMPLETELY ferment out the mead, backsweeten with NON FERMENTABLE SUGAR (Think Splenda) and then prime with honey or corn sugar.

other than that, it's not going to happen for you. The fact that the mead will be sweet is an indication that the yeast can not survive in the alcohol concentration in the mead...thus will be unable to consume your priming sugar and will not carbonate.

Last edited by BigKahuna; 09-09-2008 at 09:09 PM.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #3
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I think you are wanting to naturally carb some sweet mead. If its sweet, it is either not done fermenting or you have surpassed your yeasts ability to ferment. In the first option, it will keep fermenting until dry, not stay sweet. And the second option leaves no living yeast cells to carbonate.

Basically, you can not have residual sugars and bottle carbonate. The only way to naturally carbonate and have sweetness, is with nonfermentable sweeteners such as Lactose or splenda.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:17 PM   #4
Ecnerwal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well, you can bottle carbonate sweet mead, but it's called bottle bombs eventually :-o

Old 09-09-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
bluefoxicy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I kind of expected that but figured I'd give it a shot.

This makes things easier though, no decisions to make.

Quick Reply