Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > How much honey?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #21
CowboyBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thank you everyone for the advice and info. This is how it turned out. 15lbs of honey, nutrients, and plenty of oxygen due to the cordless drill paint stirrer attachment I picked up. It has been doing well in the primary now for 6 days.

1105121514.jpg   1105121514a.jpg  

Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day.Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #22
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Just wait until it starts to clear.

There's nothing quite like making your first mead and seeing it progress. But, once you've done a few batches, you care less about seeing how it's doing. I've gotten to that stage. I'm letting mine go the amount of time needed, and then racking when appropriate. Cleaning a couple of my reserve fermentation vessels now, so that I can transfer a batch into one, and use another to make a new batch.

I also have the latest batch sitting on a rug with keglove on it, with a heating pad between the keg (what I ferment in) and the glove. This is so that I can maintain the temperature the yeast likes to be at during fermentation. It's progressing well, but I'm probably a good month away from fermentation being complete (using RC-212).

Something to keep in mind... Be patient with your mead. Don't rush it along and you'll get something GREAT out of it.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-10-2012, 02:05 AM   #23
RobertRGeorge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post

Something to keep in mind... Be patient with your mead. Don't rush it along and you'll get something GREAT out of it.
This bears repeating over and over. Case in point: a mead I made in 2008 from orange/tangerine juice and orange blossom honey--a considerable investment--was tremendously disappointing after a year in the fermenter and a year in the bottle. Last week I opened a bottle on a whim--it is spectacular.

Quick Reply