The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > How much honey?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
CowboyBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default How much honey?

I am getting ready to make my first batch of Mead. I am trying to find out the best amount of honey to buy for a 5 gal batch. I have the White Labs Sweet Mead yeast- WLP720 and yeast nutrient. I am trying to buy local honey from bee keepers but need to know how much I should buy. I have been told that 3 gal (25lbs) of honey with 1 1/2 gal of water would be good. Any advice for a 1st timer would be much appreciated.

Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day.Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I think maybe you've got your proportions backwards. Anywhere from 1 to 4 pounds of honey per gallon of water is what I use. I'd say I average about 2 pounds per gallon for an off-dry mead. If I want a very sweet mead I go for the 4 pounds per gallon. That is a very strong mead by the way. I try to use spring water also, but I've also used things like orange juice, heather blossom tea, and the like.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:43 AM   #3
vespa2t
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I have to say that 25lb honey with 1. 5 gal water would not work. Not sure where you saw that.

Good place to start is 3lb per gal

-Paul O.
Vintage Vespa, Classic Mini Cooper, and Fermentation. Thats my life.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:43 AM   #4
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Hello and welcome. I'm guessing you want a sweet mead, since you bought sweet mead yeast?

Old 10-26-2012, 01:58 AM   #5
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 2

With 2.4 lb of honey/gallon (1 gallon/12 lb) and with the Wyeast labs sweet mead yeast, it still finished dry. Those yeasts seem to go into the 11% range, I'd recommend 3lb/gallon or about 15 lb in plus water to 5 gallons.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
CowboyBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
Hello and welcome. I'm guessing you want a sweet mead, since you bought sweet mead yeast?
yes I would like a sweet mead. I appreciate all the advice guys.

Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day.Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I would suggest something like 3lb per gallon i.e. 15lb made up to 5 gallons with water.

Now all the suggestions thus far have forgotten a few things, that to achieve a sweet mead with the White Labs yeast (and whoever it was that mentioned the Wyeast version is wrong, thats a different yeast with a much lower tolerance), you'd need to either mix the batch for a higher gravity or start lower and then when it gets to something like how you'd want it to be, to cold crash it, then hit it with stabilising chems (sulphite and sorbate).

The White labs sweet mead yeast, has, from memory, a tolerance of 15% ABV. To get that, you'd need a drop of 110/111 gravity points (110 equates to about 14.94% ABV, and 111 to about 15.08% ABV). So if you mixed it to something like 1.118 (presuming 1.000 is taken as dry/finished) you'd be left with about 1% worth of residual sweetness.

It's fair to point out that it's far easier to ferment dry, then to back sweeten to your desired level, than it is to start higher on the gravity front, so that it should finish with some residual sugars.....

The choice is yours but I'd suspect that if you got 15lb of the honey, you wouldn't be far wrong.....

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 10-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #8
CowboyBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
I would suggest something like 3lb per gallon i.e. 15lb made up to 5 gallons with water.

Now all the suggestions thus far have forgotten a few things, that to achieve a sweet mead with the White Labs yeast (and whoever it was that mentioned the Wyeast version is wrong, thats a different yeast with a much lower tolerance), you'd need to either mix the batch for a higher gravity or start lower and then when it gets to something like how you'd want it to be, to cold crash it, then hit it with stabilising chems (sulphite and sorbate).

The White labs sweet mead yeast, has, from memory, a tolerance of 15% ABV. To get that, you'd need a drop of 110/111 gravity points (110 equates to about 14.94% ABV, and 111 to about 15.08% ABV). So if you mixed it to something like 1.118 (presuming 1.000 is taken as dry/finished) you'd be left with about 1% worth of residual sweetness.

It's fair to point out that it's far easier to ferment dry, then to back sweeten to your desired level, than it is to start higher on the gravity front, so that it should finish with some residual sugars.....

The choice is yours but I'd suspect that if you got 15lb of the honey, you wouldn't be far wrong.....
shoot, I read that a few times and I'm sorry, most of that read like greek to me. You seem to really know what to do..... so I'll get 15lbs of honey and get it going. I don't know how to back sweeten. I'm pretty noob to all this still, I've mostly been brewing beer through extracts. If you could possibly dumb that down for me I'll follow your lead. Thanks

Old 10-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

1. Boil 5 gallons of water then turn off the heat
2. Stir in the 15 lbs honey
3. Stir in 2 tsp yeast nutrient
4. Cool it to 65-70F
5. Pour it into your fermenter
6. Stir it up real good to get some air into it
7. Pour the yeast in, cover the fermenter with the lid or plastic sheet
8. After 2 weeks siphon it into a 5 gallon carboy
9. Put an air lock on keep it cool and dark
10. After six months bottle it with 250 ml wine conditioner
12. Let the bottles age 1 or 2 years
13. Success!

(Have I left anything out guys?)

Old 10-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #10
CowboyBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRGeorge View Post
1. Boil 5 gallons of water
2. Stir in the 15 lbs honey
3. Stir in 2 tsp yeast nutrient
4. Cool it to 65-70F
5. Pour it into your fermenter
6. Stir it up real good to get some air into it
7. Pour the yeast in
8. After 2 weeks siphon it into a 5 gallon carboy
9. Put an air lock on keep it cool and dark
10. After six months bottle it with 250 ml wine conditioner
12. Let the bottles age 1 or 2 years
13. Success!

(Have I left anything out guys?)
so for the first 2 weeks I don't put an airlock on it?

Quick Reply