Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > How long on fruit since it was a slow start?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
CandleWineProject
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default How long on fruit since it was a slow start?

I started a mead that struggled a little bit to get going. See http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/what-yeast-use-161827/ for recipe, and for problems.

In summary, I made the batch last Sunday, pitched the yeast on Tuesday, repitched on Thursday, and finally got activity Sunday.

In my mind, if everything had gone correctly, I would have been racking it off the fruit today, or about 5-7 days after making the batch. Because it didn't start right up, do I leave it alone for a week, or do I still go ahead and yank it? Admittedly, I would think wait, because it is vulnerable at the moment, but maybe sitting on the fruit that long isn't good, either, as the fruit could start decomposing or something without the nice CO2 blanket.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2010, 02:30 AM   #2
Texron
Recipes 

Hi CWP, I have a white wine pyment in the works that I racked onto some Peach Puree. The guy who owns the LHBS I frequent, and whose advice I respect, advised me to leave it on the fruit for three to four weeks and then taste it to see if it needed more fruit. It was none the worse for wear after four weeks.

However, I am interested in others advice on this subject as well.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:34 AM   #3
MedsenFey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

I'd just treat it like the fermentation started on the day you pitched the second batch of yeast. A few extra days of soaking (somewhat akin to a cold soak) won't have hurt anything.

Quick Reply