Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > How long does mead keep for?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
dtow2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default How long does mead keep for?

A friend gave me a bunch of bottles that haven't been used since 1998. Most were empty but some had beer, wine, and mead in it. All homebrewed. The beer and wine were no good, but I'm not sure if the mead is any good since I never drank any before. The dates are from 1998 and they are called maple mead. They look nice and clear.
How do you know for sure if it's any good and what signs do you see,smell, and taste if it's bad.
Thanks in advance!
Dave

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
delvorak
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think it depends on if the seal is still good. I've heard of meads that were all good after 10 years.. So if the seal on the is good, odds are the mead is good.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
Beer_me_plz
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Do you know how it was kept? Was it exposed to light? Were the bottles upright or on their side? Hot or cold? If it was in a hot garage or attic it's probably no good. Also, if he did a good job keeping o2 exposure low during the making it will make a difference as well. also like the other poster said a good seal makes a huge difference.

I know mead ages well but I'm not sure for how long. Just curious what kind of wine was it? If it was red wine that went south it's probably not a good sign.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
Draugr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do you know anything about what's in it?
It may sound like a silly question, but the name "Maple mead" makes me wonder. I have seen stuff labelled as mead that was made from nothing more than maple syrup.
If that is the case, I have no answer for you, as I know very little about maple syrup.

If on the other hand it is proper mead, made from honey and somehow flavoured with maple, there should be no problems. Unless human error is involved.
As a general rule, mead does not have a "best before" date. Technically, mead has a near unlimited shelf life. So much so in fact, that the largest commercial producer of mead in Denmark, clearly states that their products (which has no preservatives or additives) will never spoil. And that says a lot in a country with perhaps the strictest food safety laws in the world.

A general rule of thumb for storage, is to keep it sealed and protected from sunlight.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

As long as they were stored at least semi-properly, the 'mead' should be fine. It really depends on how good a job HE did with making them.

I have a batch of maple mead/wine in process now (started early December 2011). I used grade b syrup (100% no other sugars in it), water, yeast and nutrients. Every time I vent the keg its resting in, it smells divine. I plan on bottling it up after I've moved (in <2 months). It's only 14%, which is why it will be ready fairly soon (might be already but I won't bottle for a while).

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 07-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtow2 View Post
How do you know for sure if it's any good and what signs do you see,smell, and taste if it's bad.
Thanks in advance!
Dave
If it doesn't smell offensive it will be fine to taste, if it tastes ok, it will be fine to drink. If it has survived 14 years of uhknown storage conditions, it should be fantastic.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadymi View Post
If it doesn't smell offensive it will be fine to taste, if it tastes ok, it will be fine to drink. If it has survived 14 years of uhknown storage conditions, it should be fantastic.
I wish I had 14 year old mead.
Mine never seems to get past 4

Old 07-29-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
Tantalus
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've seen threads about 21 year meads before. Honey is one of the few foods that doesn't spoil, and the high ABV of most meads should discourage bacteria or other infections. Give it a shot, if it tastes bad you can always dump it.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:16 AM   #9
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab View Post
I wish I had 14 year old mead.
Mine never seems to get past 4
I'm actually planning to squirrel away several bottles from what I made in 2010 to see how they are as the years go by. I'm thinking it will be a good idea to reserve several bottles of each batch made so that I can see how they change over time. I'm planning to use 375ml bottles for this, but might also set aside some 750ml bottles, just in case.

I have a 21% mead that will be 18-24 months before it goes to bottles (from when it was started). It might need even more time after that for aging. I'm also planning a 25% mead that I'll make once I've moved. Wonder how long that will take before it becomes truly great.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 07-30-2012, 01:48 AM   #10
derek81
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Drink it and tell us if it's good! Pics please lol

Quick Reply