Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > How long does mead keep?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2010, 02:11 AM   #11
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No, I believe it was in a Belgium monastery wine cellar...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2010, 10:34 AM   #12
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I also attempt to bottle meads in containers that I know I will be able to empty in a day or two.
Still trying to figure out what I'm going to do with the large 1 gallon containers, maybe a wedding or other large party.
As for recipes, There are so many, I would recommend getting a lot of bulk ageing carboys, and start trying as many recipes as you can afford honey.
Remember the real key to a good mead is time, if you looking at above 9% ABV, you want to give it a year to have all the goodness develop.
This site, and gotmead, and a few others will provide you will ton's of information. The real problem is patience.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:13 PM   #13
DrunkenBuffalo
Recipes 

Thanksfor all the replies and advice. My question was only based on reading a few threads saying to use wine bottles and though wine goes fast around here there are times when you just dont finish a bottle and I was just curious how long I had to get back to that bottle.

It seems the common theme is age bulk and bottle small. Easy enough. I like the idea of the mixed berry mead. I haven't had a traditional mead just fruit based meads so I know I like the fruit infused but am just as curious to try the the real deal. Only solution I can think of is to make both.

Thanks again!

Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. - Earnest Hemingway

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.

Quick Reply