How to finish fining this mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capnwaffer

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392655955.252327.jpg

Any suggestions on how to finishing fining this mead. Everything worked out well and the top half is brilliantly clear. Tires using gelatin like I do in my beer but it did not help.

I used 3 cans (3lb each) of Vinters Harvest purée; one each blueberry, blackberry and raspberry. In addition to 11lbs of honey in a ~3gal batch. Pitched lalvin 71b with the staggered nutrient additions of go-ferm and fermaid k.

Thanks

Wow...with all that gelatine in there I'm guessing you might be out of luck. Cold crash the hell out of it for a week or so. Adding some benonite may help but i'm not sure with what you have going on.

That's not gelatin in the photo. I only used 1 teaspoon of gelatin.

The mead tastes great. I think all the grey stuff is particles from the puree.

Wow, that's almost as bad as the ginger wine I did a few years back, when I used 4 or 5 times too much grated ginger.......

I also had big troubles with racking canes clogging etc......

my method ended up rather unorthodox. I made up a funnel with a piece of tube so the tube reached the bottom of the receiving container. Then a piece of towelling cloth (cotton), soaked in sulphite solution and strained it slowly so there was no splashing......

which worked well (though I took **** from the wine forum members I post at for such a "daft" idea).

After squeezing out the last of the liquid I just let it sit for a couple of weeks and just go a little bit of yeast type sediment on the bottom of the jug. I just bottled from there.

I only ever got a tiny amount of sediment drop out in the bottles.

Oh and I don't use puree full stop. Just for this reason. Either whole or sliced fruit, if heat isn't an issue, like with black currants or black berries etc, I'll often steam extract the fruit and either add half primary and half secondary or all in secondary..........

I had a similar issue, but not that deep, with my Orange Muscat mead. It had a lot of grape solids in it. I racked it out of the carboy into a keg then cold crashed it for a day then used a .5 micron filter in my cartridge setup. Clear as glass

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back