Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > how do you bottle your mead?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #11
gayleygoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I never really though of using beer bottles, I've bottled most of my meads and wines in wine bottles... with screw caps... hopefully they'll be okay like that. I might start doing some in beer bottles so it's easier to taste without opening as whole big bottle and having to drink it all. I like clear bottles for mead so I can stare at it and admire it I bottled my first batch of mead in green Buckfast wine bottles and it just didn't look good...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #12
wintermute2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I'm getting ready to start my first two 1-gallon batches of mead. I asked the guru at the LHBS which corker to get and he suggested saving some money and trying tasting corks until I decide that I'm going to be "that guy" and start brewing mead on a regular basis. Is this sound advice? How long do you think I can keep mead in a bottle with a tasting cork (port-style)?

Old 01-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #13
nitack
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

I put most of the mead in 16 oz swing top bottles, either cobalt blue I bought or green "groelsh" bottles I've been saving. 16 oz is perfect size for two glasses for me because my wife doesn't like honey and refuses to even try mead.

For the rare occasions I have company, or give it away as a gift I have 1liter swing top bottles.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #14
Inner10
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute2 View Post
I'm getting ready to start my first two 1-gallon batches of mead. I asked the guru at the LHBS which corker to get and he suggested saving some money and trying tasting corks until I decide that I'm going to be "that guy" and start brewing mead on a regular basis. Is this sound advice? How long do you think I can keep mead in a bottle with a tasting cork (port-style)?
If I were to make a guess I'd say 6 months unless you sealed the top with wax. Doesn't sound like a bad idea really...
Old 01-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #15
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute2 View Post
If you are talking about the cork based tasting corks, and not the plastic ones you can definitely use them long term. I have several bottles of local commercial port that use bar top corks with wooden tops and a few are approaching nine years, the others are all 4+ years. Also have several dessert wines, 15% ACV, which are sealed with these same corks. I have had no issues with those.

Motto: quel che sara sara

wintermute2 Likes This 
Old 01-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #16
AZhornedtoad
Recipes 

I am only doing one gallon batches until I get the process down better. I rack my secondary into a slightly more than one gallon ice tea container with a spigot. Makes it easy to gently decant into 12 oz beer bottles and cap. I wait for the lovely color when I pour. The mead doesn't last too long with one gallon batches so long term storage is not really an issue yet. I have a few of swing top bottles I use for gifts/showing off.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #17
nitack
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Am I the only one who actually buys beer or wine because I want the bottle for my own stuff to go in? Been drinking groelsh beer lately, not because I am particularly fond of it, but because the flip top bottles are cost effective that way.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #18
ExoticMeadMaker
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus345 View Post
Why upside down?
it prevents the corks from drying out over time

does anyone else find themselves sitting, starring at their mead in process?

Old 01-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #19
TedLarsen
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Default Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitack View Post
Am I the only one who actually buys beer or wine because I want the bottle for my own stuff to go in? Been drinking groelsh beer lately, not because I am particularly fond of it, but because the flip top bottles are cost effective that way.
God, yes, I do this! This is proof positive that I'm addicted to this hobby (and by "hobby," of course, I mean "mad obsession.")

I've taken to drinking Warsteiner -- which I like, don't get me wrong -- mostly because it de-labels so easily. I hate removing labels!

Old 01-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #20
Inner10
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitack View Post
I thought everyone did that...I drink only beers with non-embossed, not-painted labels.

Quick Reply