The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > How big is a cinnamon stick supposed to be?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008, 07:11 PM   #1
thomasaaron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How big is a cinnamon stick supposed to be?

I'm getting ready to make my third 1-gallon batch of mead. It's just JOA with cinnamon sticks added.

I asked my wife to pick up some cinnamon sticks for me at the grocery store, and the sticks she brought home are 2-3/4" long. So, they're shorter than what I imagined them being.

Is that the standard length? What size sticks to you guys use?

Also, any advice on how many to use would be appreciated. As I said, it'll be a one-gallon batch. I like cinnamon a lot, and I'd like the mead to reflect that -- without gagging anybody else I decide to share it with. But I'm not exactly shooting for a subtle cinnamon essence either. BTW: I've never actually *tasted* cinnamon mead, so I'm not sure what to expect.

To register an opinion is human. To ask a question is divine.

Visit my blog to discuss Mead and Things.

Or have a look at my personal Mead Log.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
ruger12pk
Recipes 

Those are the typical length of cinnamon sticks that ive seen so your good to go!!

"I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, I love only that which they defend.”

Old 01-01-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
SegmentedMonkey
Recipes 

The local bulk store has them in two lengths. The ones you describe and ones about twice as long, but no one ever seems to buy the long ones.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #4
ruger12pk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegmentedMonkey View Post
The local bulk store has them in two lengths. The ones you describe and ones about twice as long, but no one ever seems to buy the long ones.

Thats why I love this forum, you learn something new every day!

"I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, I love only that which they defend.”

Quick Reply