New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > How is the best way to top off a carboy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 10:02 PM   #21
Gamrchick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
I haven't done it myself, but I've read about folks that will make an extra gallon and put that in a 1 gallon jug with an airlock. Then when they rack their carboy, they top up from the smaller jug.
This is what we do. We're planning on switching to a full 5 gallon batch, letting it completely finish fermenting then kegging it. This way we won't have to worry about starting fermentation up again in the meads we top up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #22
skipper1953
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If the head space is not too large you could use a de-gassing whip to gently pull some CO2 out of solution. I usually use finished wine. Of course, then I have to drink what is left in the bottle.

When racking from primary to secondary there is very likely going to be some fermentation taking place and producing CO2. That is going to create a protective blanket on top of the wine without any help from you.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #23
mr_y82
Recipes 

Thanks all for the ideas to consider. I have a 1 gallon batch I started back in august, but I hated the idea of pouring my first mead into my big batch (esp. when it is tasting pretty good...). In the future I will start a small batch for use when topping up.

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." - Ben Franklin 1779

Old 01-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #24
BoxMan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Well, ****. Should have read this thread a few hours ago...

Old 09-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #25
johnny5000
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I've got a small batch (1 gallon) of mead in primary that won't be ready to rack for another few weeks. I was thinking of topping off with a honey-water mixture of approximately the same proportions as the original batch. Is this an acceptable practice?

I've seen a few posts here concerned with restarting fermentation in secondary- is this bad? If so, why?

Old 01-23-2014, 02:23 PM   #26
schmeek
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Bringing an old thread back. I just racked to my secondary (3 gal carboy) and didn't have enough mead to fill it so I boiled some RO water I had and added about 6oz of honey and a crushed campden tab to it once it cooled to 78ish. The SG of what i added was about 1.012 and i added about a quart. Is this going to have any ill effects?

Old 01-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #27
wintermute2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Since this thread has been resuscitated...

What about "pouring" CO2 from the primary into the secondary, since CO2 is heavier than air?

Old 01-23-2014, 07:03 PM   #28
schmeek
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I wish I had a means to do that but I dont own a tank

Old 01-23-2014, 11:25 PM   #29
wintermute2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

No tank. I meant racking your mead from primary to secondary then tipping your "empty" primary vessel, full of air and CO2, over your secondary. The Co2 should, theoretically at least, flow down into the secondary, displacing some of the air in the secondary and settling into a blanket over your must.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:31 AM   #30
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I make 2.5 gallons in a 3gallon Better Bottle carboy. When I rack, I rack into another 3gallon carboy that has been purged with CO2 for about 20 seconds then do a top off with CO2 just in case. Don't know if it's necessary or not... but, I do it anyhooo.

When I make 1g batches of beer, I rack into another 1g jug and top up with CO2 and marbles. Again.. it's what I do.. necessary or not.

Quick Reply