New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > How is the best way to top off a carboy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #11
Hinermad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyweed View Post
I've heard using marbles are pretty popular..but I actually prefer to heat up a little water and mix in some honey, and top up with honey water.
I read a suggestion somewhere that if you're going to use marbles, use the flattened floral marbles available at craft stores. Round marbles are more likely to roll around the bottom of your carboy, kicking up sediment.

Dave

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 02:42 AM   #12
vulture1963
Recipes 

Apparently I've been very lucky. I've made more that 15 five gallon batches and have often aged in secondary with lots of head space for more than a year without incidence.

A good friend invited me over one day to see if I could "rescue" a mead she'd made and then forgotten about. It was still sitting in the primary bucket and all the water had long evaporated from the airlock. It was wonderful. Not a trace of infection or oxidation.

Weird.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:29 AM   #13
hopmeup
Recipes 

i just started mead making and was also thinking about this. i had to top off with water. but i was thinking about making a set up with some hose and a shortened racking cane to purge the carboy with co2. oxidation should not be a problem if there is no oxygen to attack the mead. does anybody use this method ?

Old 12-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #14
MartyB
Recipes 

I've seen a couple posts about people topping off with the fog from dry ice.
Not a bad idea, if you've got the dry ice.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #15
Hinermad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyB View Post
I've seen a couple posts about people topping off with the fog from dry ice.
Not a bad idea, if you've got the dry ice.
I wondered about that. You might get enough CO2 from mixing baking soda and lemon juice in a separate bottle and piping the gas in, but I don't know how you'd tell if it's working because you can't see it.

Dave

Old 12-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #16
Buffman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What about topping off with bottled mead?

Old 12-11-2009, 04:26 PM   #17
wayneb
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffman View Post
What about topping off with bottled mead?
That certainly works. But if you have mead in a bottle that is ready to drink, it seems a shame to have to sacrifice it like that just to top up a carboy.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:52 PM   #18
Yan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneb View Post
That certainly works. But if you have mead in a bottle that is ready to drink, it seems a shame to have to sacrifice it like that just to top up a carboy.
I plan to bottle a very neutral tasting mead and apple wine in those little Belgian stubby bottles for use as top up wine.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #19
mr_y82
Recipes 

I only have two 6.5 gallon carboys and no immediate plans for more. When I rack my first 6 gallon batch to secondary how bad would it be to top off with a vodka/water mixture of a similar ABV to the mead?

this is how much head space I have:

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." - Ben Franklin 1779

Old 11-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #20
Twofox
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The wife and I have been at this for a couple of years now, and even won some medals at comps. So we must be doing something right.

What we did is to get one of those little C02 keg chargers, shown here. The cartridges are $3 apiece and last for quite a few blasts.

We rack to secondary and then shoot a little c02 in there. Works just fine as far as we can tell. Sometimes we even forget to do that. We did our own tasting with score sheets last night and nothing had any oxidation issues.

IMHO topping off with water or anything else for that matter defeats the purpose of making good mead. You measure everything at the begining to get a desired result. Why add other factors later that can make all the difference? Time and aging are also your best friends

Beer! It's not just for breakfast anymore!

Tucson Homebrew Club

Quick Reply