The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > How best to bottle mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
videoman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How best to bottle mead

First time with Mead and I'm torn as to how best to bottle my mead. It's been in secondary for 6 months so I think it's time.

So far, samples have been very strong... not being familiar with mead, and seeing the alcohol content is around 14% I'm assuming most folks won't down alot of mead in one sitting.

This will not be a sparkling mead so I assume wine bottles with cork will be ok. So, will it be 750ml Wine bottles with cork, 12oz beer bottles with beer cap, smaller? Any suggestions?

On Deck -
Drinking -

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2008, 10:03 PM   #2
Baumgartner
Recipes 

If you truely can't decide then do a 1/2 wine bottles 1/2 beer bottles. If it was my mead I would lean towards almost all in wine bottles, and only a few beer bottles

Old 05-21-2008, 10:03 PM   #3
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

I've bottled dozens of meads over the past few years and have used a variety of bottles. I almost always use 750ml corked wine bottles but I also like swing tops when I can get, or afford, them.

Bellissimo or hock bottles (Tall, thin - usually 375ml) provide an elegant touch to an attractive, or sweet mead. Standard 375s also work nice. I always bottle 4-6 375s or 12 oz crown caps for sampling purposes as the mead ages to avoid opening an entire bottle that isn't yet ready to drink or to give as gifts.

I've also used sparkling wine bottles from the US with crown caps when I run short of bottles but I try to reserve those for sparkling meads or ciders.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:55 PM   #4
GrantLee63
Recipes 

You may want to consider holding off for awhile before doing any bottling. All the meads I make these days get bulk-aged for a minimum of 2 years before I bottle. With that being said, I prefer to bottle my meads in standard 750 ml wine bottles using amalgomated corks. YMMV

- GL63

Es freut mich mit Euch Allen brüderlich zu trinken ! Ein Prosit der Gemütlichkeit !

Old 05-22-2008, 12:13 AM   #5
RangerG

Recipes 

I put my mead in ANY bottles. Magnums to tiny. My wife especially likes those little 6oz champagne bottles cause they're so dainty.

I have noticed that using 5oz corn sugar for 5 gallons gives mine quite a pep and if I'm not hanging onto the champagne cork it'll just fly off all on its own.

But since reading this post I suppose that when I make a still mead that I now have a reason to save up some wine bottles.

My wife drinks most of the mead; so long as I keep her in supply I can make all the beer I want. And she likes about 12oz per average sitting, so I mostly use beer bottles. One 12ouncer and it's the giggles, two and it's stupid time.

All is well, and all will be well, in the garden

Last edited by RangerG; 05-22-2008 at 12:17 AM.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
videoman

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you all for your replies... I like the idea of the 750ml wine bottle as long as the mead will stay good after open.

GL63; your killing me with the two years in bulk storage.... I'm a beer brewer dabbling with the mead (like many others I'm sure)... I have no patience for waiting.... I thought I was doing good with my mead on the one year plan... You have the patience of Job; and probably the best mead in town.

Thanks again.

On Deck -
Drinking -

Old 05-22-2008, 02:32 PM   #7
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoman View Post
Thank you all for your replies... I like the idea of the 750ml wine bottle as long as the mead will stay good after open.
Don't over think it...A 750ML is only 4 glasses of wine. That'll keep for a few days.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:43 PM   #8
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

If you have a corker then reuse your wine bottles for your mead.
However if all you have saved up is beer bottles and you don't currently own a good corker, like me , then beer bottles work just fine. 12oz is just about right for me to drink at one sitting. I don't find my meads and wines to be as good the second night after opening, so that is another argument for beer bottles.

If you are doing a still mead then any glass bottle that provides a good seal will work.

Craig

Quick Reply