Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > hops and mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #21
frydogbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 46 Posts

i certainly never add acid right off the bat. for one thing, you don't know if you need it or how much. another thing though, honey is already acidic and making it more so just creates an environment that is slightly rougher for the yeasties to do their thing in. i always adjust my pH when i put it into the secondary and i shoot for a pH of 3.2 or 3.3

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #22
2ndGenBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I can chime in on the affects of aging hops with meads. I did a Elderflower/Saaz metheglin about 1 1/2 years ago and opened a bottle the other day. The Saaz taste and aroma still came through strong and complemented the Elderflower excellently.

When I did my batch I simmered the Elderflower and added the Saaz after fermenetation as a dry hopping. I let the Saaz sit for quite a long time (4-5 weeks) before racking and allowing to clear.

My recipe:

3lbs Wildflower honey
1/4 oz Elderflower
1 oz Saaz
71B-1122 yeast
Nutrient and energizer per label

Makes a good 1 gallon batch. Im debating making a full 5 gallon batch.

That's my two cents.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #23
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenBrewer View Post
I can chime in on the affects of aging hops with meads. ...

... added the Saaz after fermenetation as a dry hopping. I let the Saaz sit for quite a long time (4-5 weeks) before racking and allowing to clear.
I also add my dry hops for several weeks before racking to clear...perhaps this is part of the secret to getting the persistent hop flavor/aroma in mead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenBrewer View Post
Im debating making a full 5 gallon batch.
Do it!
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 09-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #24
mr_y82
Recipes 

I love this site... I am working on my first batch and used some hops... just hope this sulfur smell goes away... I started a thread on that as well, more details there...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/1st-...1/#post3231480

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." - Ben Franklin 1779

Old 09-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #25
mkut
Recipes 

just tried a little sample whilst racking, it tastes pretty good so far. going to make some more soon.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #26
planet9
Recipes 

I'm itching to make my first mead and I just spent two days searching for this info so thanks guys. The question I have is what type of bottles are going to be best for bottling the bragawd (hop mead) in. In the recipes featured here it says to bottle in 'Quart bottles'. Should I use plastic or will glass be OK and is quart (litre) the best size? Cheers!

Old 09-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #27
frydogbrews
Recipes 

always go with glass when you are dealing with something that has to age. oxygen passes through the plastic (in very small amounts) and when you age it for even 6 months, not mention a year or three, those small amounts add up and wreck a beverage.

as for size of bottles, whatever size you think you will readily open and finish before it gets oxidized. i usually do 750 ml bottles or 1 liter swing tops. other than that it is just presentation. i won't bottle in 12 oz beer bottles because i just don't like the look of mead in beer bottles. the mead, however, doesn't give a damn.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:44 PM   #28
planet9
Recipes 

I noticed on this page http://www.medievalcookery.com/helewyse/meadhops3.html mentions the author created 'bottle bombs' when using 1 pint swing top bottles, using the 1 teaspoon of sugar carbonation recipe. Is exploding bottles common and can it be avoided?

Old 09-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #29
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet9 View Post
I'm itching to make my first mead and I just spent two days searching for this info so thanks guys. The question I have is what type of bottles are going to be best for bottling the bragawd (hop mead) in. In the recipes featured here it says to bottle in 'Quart bottles'. Should I use plastic or will glass be OK and is quart (litre) the best size? Cheers!
Fully agree with frydogbrews on both of his points...I always use glass for mead, even for fermentation, since it's generally a longer process, and I don't want to deal with the oxygen permeability issue.

In terms of bottle size, your batch size may dictate some of this...when I was (very early on) doing 1 gal batches, I always bottled in 12 oz bottles, but now I generally use 750 ml wine bottles (5-6 gallon batches).

You may also want to consider how you drink...if you and yours are the sort to open up a wine bottle and kill it in one shot, then go that route. If you're the only one drinking it, 12 oz bottles may be better....

Something very specific for the hop meads though...I do believe you should bottle in BROWN bottles...with the presence of hops, I would be concerned about skunking (light-struck) off flavors. If you can't find brown wine style bottles, I'd bottle in regular crown cap bottles of whatever size you have conveniently available.
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 09-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #30
frydogbrews
Recipes 

you could also use indigo blue bottles, they are widely available, although slightly pricy, but they keep out as much light as brown, maybe more (that's a debate for another thread though.)

as for the bottle bombs, just let it ferment out all the way, take multiple hydrometer readings on different days to make sure it is done (or at .990) then don't add more than the usual priming sugar if you plan on carbing it up. (3/4 cup to five gallons is the norm)
swing top bottles are actually closer to champange bottles and can be carbed higher than regular beer bottles, so to get those babies to blow, somebody messed up big! and with a mead, that was probably bottling before it was done fermenting.

Quick Reply