Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > hops and mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
mkut
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default hops and mead

Firstly i would like to thank everyone who had replied to my previous posts. I'm now a proud father 4 x 1 gallon meads and 1 gallon of parsnip wine.

I've been given some hops (goldings, kent hops), i want to make a mead with some hops (i'm an ale fan) any trusted recipes people have tried?

ta muchly

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
frydogbrews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 46 Posts

i'm interested to hear if anyone has done this and how it turned out also. hoppy beers are my favorite, but the subtle sexiness of a mead might not be a good match with more commanding flavors of hops, even mellow ones. plus, since you need to age mead for so long, most of the hop flavor would probably go away in that year to year and a half.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Redstone Meadery makes a subtly hopped mead in their nectar series called "Nectar of the Hops". I quite enjoy it.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 08-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
huesmann
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Isn't a hoppy mead just a braggot/bracket?

Old 08-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
Isn't a hoppy mead just a braggot/bracket?
No, a braggot is a mead with malt.
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 08-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
DarkBrood
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I found these on a previous search and had saved them...waiting on some 1.5-2gal jugs to test them out. They don't specify which hops to use, but I'm thinking low-alpha citrusy/fruity hops from the pacific northwest would be best...although I'm also debating using Strisselspalt. I'd love to hear any input (haven't actually done a mead yet, but I'm planning to do both a hop mead and a blueberry melomel).

Quote:
Ale Mead - T.S.
Makes 1 gallon

1 lb Honey
1 oz Hops
1 oz Citric Acid
1 gal water
nutrients
Brewers Yeast

Boil honey & water and most of hops for 45 minutes, add remainder of hops at about the 40 min. mark.
Strain hops, add citric acid & nutrients.
Let cool overnight.
Add water to 1 gal mark.
Add yeast and let ferment to completion, skimming off yeast daily as for beer.
Allow to settle for a few days after fermentation.
Bottle in 1 qt bottles with 1 tsp suger in bottles.
After 2-3 days in warm area (so that bottle fermentaion occurs) place in cool area and treat as bottled beer.

Quote:
Ale Mead - justcoz
Makes 1 gallon

1 lb honey
1 oz hops
0.25 oz citric acid, or juice of 2 small lemons
2 Tbsp yeast nutrient
1 pkt brewers yeast (ale yeast)
1 gal water

Dissolve the honey in 6 pints hot water and bring to the boil.
Add the hops and boil vigorously for about 45 minutes.
A few of the hops should not be added initially, but put in about 5 minutes before the wort reaches the end of the boiling period.
Strain off the hops, add the citric acid and nutrients, allow to cool overnight (covered closely), then bring the volume up to 1 gallon with cold water.
Add the yeast to the cool wort and allow to ferment to completion, skimming off the yeast as you would for a beer.
Allow to settle for a few days after the fermentation ceases, then rack into quart bottles, adding one level teaspoonful of sugar to each bottle.
Seal the bottles, store in a warm place for 2-3 days to ensure that bottle fermentation begins, then move to a cooler location to assist clarification.
Subsequently treat as a bottled beer.
Priming is not essential, and, after fermentation, the ale mead may be matured as a draught beer and drank after a few months.
-----------------------
This was part of a long series of messages posted by justcoz on the history of mead.
Preceding this message was a discussion of economic factors that caused the decline in popularity of mead and an explanation of how, at one time, most meads (such as those consumed by the Vikings) were of low strength, such as this mead.
WRITER: http://BrewsAndStews.wordpress.com TWITTER @DarkBroodBrews
PHOTOGRAPHER: http://Brian-Gibson.FineArtAmerica.com

Old 08-12-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
mkut
Recipes 

thank for the feed back. I will try the first one "DarkBrood" mentioned in a day or so. Will give you all feed back.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #8
frydogbrews
Recipes 

darkbrood, i would highly recommend not boiling your honey. it doesn't really need to be boiled and you end up losing a ton of the honey goodness(flavor and aroma) if you do that. also, one pound of honey per gallon water would make a very weak drink.
3 pounds per gallon create something that is around 10-11%, so knock two thirds of your sugars out of there and you have under 4%.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #9
DarkBrood
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

@frydog - I've noticed that 2.5-3 pounds per gallon seems to be the standard for most mead recipes. Like I said, I haven't tried these yet - the thread for the "justcoz" recipe mentioned it being drinkable like a beer...I guess if it came out beer-strength, that would be pretty weak for a mead.

Would making it stronger drown out the pleasant hop aromatics with the ones from the honey variety? Or would you recommend something to add more body to the weaker-strength recipe?

WRITER: http://BrewsAndStews.wordpress.com TWITTER @DarkBroodBrews
PHOTOGRAPHER: http://Brian-Gibson.FineArtAmerica.com

Old 08-13-2011, 03:04 AM   #10
frydogbrews
Recipes 

don't get me wrong here, i have made many beers that were half honey and turned out awesome. specifically a honey steam and a honey blonde. half malt, half honey, both came in around 4.5%.
for what you're talking about, i would double the honey. that way you end up with 7-8%ABV, and should be very drinkable and ready earlier than a full strength mead. you will lose some of the hop goodness as the mead ages, but it should only need a 6 month age, so it should still have plenty of hop flavor/aroma.
again though, i have no clue how the hop flavor will translate into mead, but i am anxious to hear back from anyone that tries it.

Quick Reply