Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Hops in Mead?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
Sean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default Hops in Mead?

I was thinking of taking a gal of an AG cream ale, with a regular hop schedule, and adding 2lb of honey, some nutrient, and a second yeast addition, and making a hybrid light ale mead.

Is there anything fundamentally wrong with this idea. I tried the search for hops in mead, and got the expected results.

I don't know anything about mead, except what I have read here. I have tasted a few commercial meads, and want to try one gallon. To be honest, I'll probably wind up cooking with most of it. Any thoughts on an ale-mead?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A mead made with malt is a braggot. A mead with hops is an Ethiopian drink known as tej. And honey is used in many different beers as a flavor and fermentable. Are you wanting to do a mead with beer added or a beer with honey added? Or you could brew them separately and blend them later.

On-Deck:

Primary: Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul;

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Pumpkin Saison; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Old 05-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #3
Sean

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I was planning on brewing the ale, letting it ferment out mostly, at which time there would be many yeasties, then adding the honey, and possibly an additional yeast to handle the higher alcohol. I need to read more, but thought I'd throw it out there for comments. Specifically:

Brew a 5.5 gal cream ale with light hops.

7# 2-row
.5# cara-pils
1# rice
.75oz simcoe at 60min
.25oz simcoe at flame out
Nottingham yeast

Let that ferment almost all the way, 2-3 days, then add 2 - 2.5# honey to one gallon of the Ale. After that comes the reading I need to do. I would think the honey would start fermenting right off. There should be plenty of nutrients, but the alcohol will kill the Nottingham, so I need a mead yeast, or champagne yeast, and possibly nutrients.

It is just a whim, but the more I think about it, the more I want to try it.

Reason: added grey.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think I'd call it a "Honey Cream Ale," but I'll defer categorization to those more experienced in such matters. It does, however, sound quite tasty, so I say go for it, and be sure to post feedback!

On-Deck:

Primary: Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul;

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Pumpkin Saison; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Old 05-23-2009, 11:16 PM   #5
juvinious
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 4 Posts

Here is some info about braggots.
Bottled: Pyment | Strawberry Melomel

Old 05-24-2009, 12:02 AM   #6
Limited Visibility