Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Hiw to csrbonate first mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2012, 01:21 AM   #1
kickrjason
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Since this is my first batch. I am Leary of the bottling. I have made many batches of beer but I think for some reason the residual sugars in the mead has me nervous. I don't want bottle bombs. What's the best procedure to carbonate mead?

And for the record the auto correct on my iPhone is to blame for my title. I can't edit it.

Tap#1 Summer Saison
Tap#2 Amarillo Pale Ale

Primary English Mild
Secondary -Vanilla Chai Mead

Kegged Haüs Hefeweisen #4, Speckled Heifer Cream Ale
Bottled - Cherry Oatmeal Stout, Burbon Vanilla Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Hefeweisen, Stubborn Baby Pale Ale,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 01:34 AM   #2
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

what is SG now? What is your ABV? What yeast did you use? Are you going to use beer bottles? Do you want a sweet or dry mead?

So many variables to consider.

Basically if you want sweet carbonated mead......you sweeten to taste add another 3/4 cup per 5 gallons and pasteurize when properly carbed. The easiest way to tell this is to fill a plastic soda bottle and when it is good and hard it is time.

if you want a dry carbed mead.......confirm it is finished fermenting (3 consecutive SG readings the same over a week or 2 period) add 3/4 cup sugar / 5 gallons and bottle.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
kickrjason
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

the SG right now is 1.022 the OG is 1.113 ABV is 11.9%

It has been steady for months so i am sure fermentation is done.

I like how it tastes now, it is a Vanilla Chai Mead. i know weird recipe for a first mead. Its brilliantly clear and i plan on using beer bottles. how do you pasteurize mead?

mead.jpg  

Tap#1 Summer Saison
Tap#2 Amarillo Pale Ale

Primary English Mild

Bottled - Cherry Oatmeal Stout, Burbon Vanilla Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Hefeweisen, Stubborn Baby Pale Ale,

Old 05-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
hwilshusen
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I haven't pasteurize mead but this works for cider.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy-stove-top-pasteurizing-pics-193295/

Old 05-31-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
roadymi
Recipes 

If it has been steady SG for a month or longer I wouldn't pasteurize. I would use campden and degas real well before bottling. As you bottle fill a plastic soda bottle, use this as a monitoring device. If it becomes rock hard then you will need to pasteurize your beer bottles using the above mentioned link.

BTW.....your mead looks wonderful.....awesome bright color.

EDIT: just noticed you want carbed mead....you will have to pasteurize. Your mead is either stuck or has exceeded your yeast tolerance to finish at 1.022. Either way I would prob use 1118 and 3/4 cup per 5 gallons of priming sugar than pasteurize. The 1118 should restart fermentation and the priming sugar will allow you to maintain your current sweetness.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
roadymi
Recipes 

one more edit.....unfortunately when you bottle carb you will lose some of your pristine clearness as the lil yeasties will settle out in your bottles.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:39 AM   #7
YeastieBoys
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Why do you need to pasteurize to carb a mead? I'm planning on carbonating a mead in a couple of months, but doing it through force carbonation through a keg, then bottling. What would pasteurizing do?

Old 06-01-2012, 01:03 AM   #8
TheBrewingMedic
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

They are pasteurizing to stop the process, once a certain level of carbonation is reached to stop bottle bombs, thats what the one in plastic is for to monitor how much pressure is building.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:06 AM   #9
roadymi
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeastieBoys View Post
Why do you need to pasteurize to carb a mead? I'm planning on carbonating a mead in a couple of months, but doing it through force carbonation through a keg, then bottling. What would pasteurizing do?
Are you wanting to leave it sweet? If so you need to stop the fermentation process with chemicals or heat

Old 06-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
kickrjason
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

i think ill go the bottle carb route. if its stopped where its at should i try and do anything with the gravity or is it where a back sweetened mead would be?

Tap#1 Summer Saison
Tap#2 Amarillo Pale Ale

Primary English Mild

Quick Reply