Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > High OG for Mead?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #21
Goofynewfie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 245 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 26

For arguments sake let's use apple juice for my point. I go into my backyard and I run enough apples off my trees through a juicer to get one quart of juice. I then go to the store and buy enough Red Delicious apples and run them through the juicer to get one quart of Juice. finally I buy one quart of organic Macintosh apple juice. all three have this same gravity readings? they are all one quart of pure apple juice, they will be measured using the same hydrometer. the gravity readings will be different due to different sources,even know they are the same volume

You cant always be young but you can always be immature

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #22
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofynewfie View Post
For arguments sake let's use apple juice for my point. I go into my backyard and I run enough apples off my trees through a juicer to get one quart of juice. I then go to the store and buy enough Red Delicious apples and run them through the juicer to get one quart of Juice. finally I buy one quart of organic Macintosh apple juice. all three have this same gravity readings? they are all one quart of pure apple juice, they will be measured using the same hydrometer.
You need to BOTH weigh and measure the volume of each quart. The three quarts could have different gravities.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #23
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guden View Post
To throw one more issue out: water isn't 8 lbs/gallon and this isn't even a great approximation. It is generally closer to 8.34, even using your calculations this gives you an OG of around 1.11 (9.255/8.34).
Good point. 1 fluid oz. doesn't equal 1 dry ounce. I forgot this. I agree that the OG was then probably closer to 1.110.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #24
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

I've been taking hydrometer samples and we're at 1.041 now and it is still cranking along. No off smells at all and the yeast still seems happy. I've been degassing it regularly and it has been at a consistent temperature of 68F.

Extrapolating my readings back to day 0 things seem consistent with an OG of 1.110. Montrachet's alcohol tolerance is quoted as 13% which would give me an FG of 1.021 but I hope I can drive it a little lower to the 1.015 range for a sweet mead. I'll continue to degas and baby it as much as I can.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:28 PM   #25
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Today I took another reading, 33 days in the fermenter. We're now down to 1.013 and the Montrachet yeast is still at work. If the 1.11 OG figure is correct we're just over 14% ABV. No off smells at all and it is still suspended and kicking off a good amount of CO2. I've been degassing daily. I'm starting to think that this will actually finish up very nearly dry which would be about 15.8%.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:30 AM   #26
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_Chicken View Post
Today I took another reading, 33 days in the fermenter. We're now down to 1.013 and the Montrachet yeast is still at work. If the 1.11 OG figure is correct we're just over 14% ABV. No off smells at all and it is still suspended and kicking off a good amount of CO2. I've been degassing daily. I'm starting to think that this will actually finish up very nearly dry which would be about 15.8%.
Well done.

Just read the whole thread and was a little concerned about gastric ulceration

Your assertion of the scientific method was correct, as was those of the other posts.

Personally, I just say bollocks to it, mix it up, then use a hydrometer.....

As mass and weight need to be calculated against constants for sugar concentration to be of use when trying to crunch the numbers without a hydrometer......... and I for one, am far too lazy for all that.

Just don't sue the yeast makers for not publishing correct data about tolerance

Well managed honey musts are often strange, as it doesn't seem to be too difficult to exceed the stated tolerances, even if they are worked out using grape musts......

I suppose it teaches us a little about the unpredictable nature of natural substances.....

Now we'll just need the update of whether HMV declares it too dry or not. I don't use Redstar yeasts generally so whether it will recover any "perception of sweetness" with ageing, I wouldn't like to guess

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 05-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #27
SouthernGorilla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I've used as much as four pounds per gallon with an OG around 1.144. I currently have two batches running with over three pounds per gallon. I guess wine folks would call them "sickeningly" sweet. But I'm not making wine.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:02 AM   #28
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
Well done.
Just don't sue the yeast makers for not publishing correct data about tolerance

Well managed honey musts are often strange, as it doesn't seem to be too difficult to exceed the stated tolerances, even if they are worked out using grape musts......

I suppose it teaches us a little about the unpredictable nature of natural substances.....

Now we'll just need the update of whether HMV declares it too dry or not. I don't use Redstar yeasts generally so whether it will recover any "perception of sweetness" with ageing, I wouldn't like to guess
It is still sweetish, but the alcohol is definitely noticeable. Honey-flavored firewater, but no detectable off flavors or smells. Whatever gravity it ends up at, it will need a nice long age in the bottle simply due to the alcohol, but there isn't anything really to harsh about it other than that.

I'm not fussed with the yeast - it feels like a bit of a victory in that we're over the quoted "limit" and it is still attenuating without any bad flavors or smells. It still is burping the airlock fairly regularly and there are nice streams of bubbles coming up the sides of the carboy. I'm impressed that it is still cranking away.

I guess we'll know where it levels out in another few weeks. I'll post when it gets there and drops clear.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #29
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

41 days in, SG = 1.008, just about 15% ABV. Gravity is still moving but I think the yeast are starting to quit and fall out. There is less yeasty flavor to the sample and the upper few inches of the carboy are clearing. The honey flavor is vivid and the alcohol is surprisingly mellow. I'm really psyched, this is going to be a nice mead I think.

I'm continuing to degas and rouse the yeast up daily, but we're getting close to the finish.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:00 AM   #30
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

When should I rack this to secondary? It is not clear, but it is becoming more translucent. There is a lot of yeast sediment and the raisins are dropping out.

Quick Reply