Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Hibiscus Mead technique?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
saramc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use Hibiscus saffridida, I think I seriously screwed the spelling, and it maintained the most gorgeous marroon color throughout and when bottled. Cleared quite quickly. Have made wine and mead. Both have been great drinkers when ready to bottle, and are great with age. Really want to carb some next go round. I tend to use 2 oz per gallon steeped in boiling water and simply allowed to cool. The flowers are incorporated for no more than three days. These are the same hibiscus cultivar used for jamaica. Not available locally for me, so I just source from Amazon. I think Davidson's are the ones I use, but I will order from morethanalive.com when I need more. I also enjoy it with orange peel added after SG drops 2/3, or serve with a twist in the glass, just something about it. I make hibiscus tea all the time, as it reportedly helps with high blood pressure, so I figure what better reason to drink hibiscus wine.

Want to pour a pretty glass, fill a jar with dried whole flowers and fill with simple syrup and refrigerate, and allow them to hydrate. Place one flower in glass when serving. An eight ounce jar of these sell for $15+ in stores in my area.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply