The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Hibiscus Mead ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
ReDim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Hibiscus Mead ?

While doing my weekly shopping at my regular Supermarket (Shopright) I picked up a pack of Red Zinger Hibiscus Tea , Umm..

What do you guys think about using it? Would you use it all or would you rather use dried hibiscus flowers from some online store? How much would you use for a 5gal batch? What type of Hops would you say go well with it?

Thank you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
Arpolis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I have found that celestial seasonings likes to put a lot of lemon grass in there herbal teas and from my experience non of that flavor survives primary fermentation. Also the concentration of actual hibiscus and rose hips in the tea is limited. I would say get some dried hibiscus floweres and some rose hips to use rather than the tea blend. Just because the celestial seasonings tea I use just don't have flavors that last. It might be good if you steep the tea in secondary only. I haven't tried that.

For hops I think I like Saaz hops in mead. I think Saaz and honey mix well.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply