The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Help with a simple Blueberry mead recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2010, 05:32 PM   #11
arthertonjohn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Ok so i'm gonna go for it i'll just do 3 gallons in large water jug, i've read that the berries tend to swell . I've got a good starter going right now (cinnamon/ginger mead) that needs to be racked off soon, will just repitch from it so should not have to worry about slow start.

So 3 gallons 2lbs berries and say 10lbs honey? that sound about right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2010, 06:19 PM   #12
LightningInABottle
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't think you should reuse your yeast cake. I have read that it will cause off flavors. More experienced people can chime in here, but for $1.25 for a new yeast packet might save you some time you would spend aging to hopefully get rid of off flavors and money you spent on honey/blueberries. But I'm a relative noob and have a LHBS I can stop at on the way home from work.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:25 PM   #13
arthertonjohn
Recipes 

i've got some lavlin ec-1118 on order but its not here yet lol i want to get this going ... i'll wait for it i want this batch to be perfect I have nutrient on order too as well as a mini-siphon thingy lol

Old 03-31-2010, 08:38 PM   #14
wayneb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I recommend waiting for it, or perhaps even using a different yeast strain. EC-1118 tends to ferment fast, blowing off a lot of CO2, and taking with it lots of the aromatics from your honey and your fruit. It also has a humongous ethanol tolerance, which means that odds are your must will ferment completely bone dry. For a first timer's berry melomel I would recommend using a strain called 71B instead, or even K1V-1116, over 1118.

I also recommend against re-pitching onto the lees of a finished batch. While this works well enough for many ales (anything finishing at less than 7% ABV), the mutations and defects introduced into the surviving yeast cells in a 10% or higher wine/mead must will often produce results that don't taste too good.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:55 PM   #15
arthertonjohn
Recipes 

I chose ec-1118 because of its temperature tolerances, here in utah lol its snowing right now. In a month it will be in the 90's here and over 100 soon. K1V-1116 was second choice but Northern Brewer does not stock it, i couldn't find it on their website.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:10 AM   #16
MedsenFey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

I can assure you that you don't want to do high temperature fermentation with EC-1118 in meads as it will produce a fusel-ridden, phenolic mess that will take years to age out (if it ever does). You can get K1V at a lot of places online - Midwest supply has it.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:15 AM   #17
arthertonjohn
Recipes 

Ok will the k1v-1116 take the higher temps well? i am a cheap bastard and dont use a/c unless its over 100 lol. i have read somewhere on the net that yeasts do best at 90F which seems odd, the strain i'm using now prefers the cooler temps hehe its like 36F here right now and cinnamon/ginger is going just fine.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:27 AM   #18
arthertonjohn
Recipes 

i'm listening to you all, i will get the k1v-1116 before i start, but i dont think temp will be an issue for a month or so? that it will be in primary will rack off to five 1 gallon jugs when time comes. Back to the nutrients question ... will DAP be sufficient, starting with a bit of grape juice and tannins from tea?

Old 04-01-2010, 12:28 AM   #19
MedsenFey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

I don't know where you read that bit about 90 degrees, but I think that information is way off base. I'm not sure if there is a yeast that will produce a good mead at 90 F. K1V can do a good job in the mid 80s for sure. If you are going to ferment in such high temps, consider cooling methods such as a basin of water with a t-shirt draped over the fermenter (maybe with a fan blowing on it). The evaporative cooling can drop the temps by more than 10 F.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:30 AM   #20
arthertonjohn
Recipes 

Damn good idea ... keep fermenter in bathtub ... i like it

Quick Reply