Help with a pear Melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovemongre

Reaction score
I have what I guess might be considered a pear/apple melomel chimera. Last fall I had a lot of left over pears and I decided to throw something together. I've brewed a few batches of beer and one batch of mead, but am relatively inexperienced at the brewing process. I really didn't write anything down, but as I remember I simmered and milled the pears to come to about 3 gallons of thick must. I added water and then honey to bring the OG up to about 1.09. I added about a gallon of apple juice to top it off. Pitched some champagne yeast, pectic enzyme and campden tabs and open fermented it in the primary and then an airlocked secondary. It has been racked three times and has been sitting in the still secondary for several months. It's sitting at around 1.005 SG

So... I haven't done anything with it because it tastes, well, like alcoholic water. At the second racking I added some Cinnamon and clove, and now that is all you can taste. I did read that pear imparts very little flavor and that is certainly the case here. I was considering just throwing it in a keg and adding some frozen fruit juice concentrate, maybe cranking up the carbs and make it sparkling to add some interest.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. If the batch is bust, I'm really only out couple of bucks for the ingredients, so no big deal.

Back