The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Help with dragon fruit mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
Zabuza
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Help with dragon fruit mead

Well I decided to try something basic but interesting - a melomel with dragon fruit. In my one gallon batch, I added 3 lbs. saw palmetto honey (light and buttery sweetness), the purée of three fist-sized dragon fruit, yeast nutrient, and white labs sweet mead yeast (WP720). Everything's going fine, but I didn't really think about the seeds (ok I did, but I chose to ignore them). It's been a few days now, and fermentation has gotten up to a bubble every five seconds or so. The tiny fruit pieces and seeds have separated out of the liquid now, absorbed a some of the must, and are now floating on top. It's about a one inch thick layer, and it's pretty solid. I guess I'm just concerned about what impact the seeds will have on the mead - do you guys think I should rack it out into another container and leave the fruit bits and seeds behind? I could always add some more dragon fruit to secondary in a muslin bag or something. Anyway - does anyone have any advice on the seeds? Have you worked with them before? Do seeds usually impart a bad flavor?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
Insomniac
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I think as long as you didn't use a blender, and as such the seeds havent been broken up you shouldn't fine. At least that's the case with other fruits.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
Zabuza
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I did, actually, but I only had the blender on for like a half second at a time for two times. The fruit was so fragile that I just flipped the switch on and off a couple times and then it was purée. I don't know if the blades were active long enough to cut up the seeds (I certainly don't see any seed parts at all, just whole seeds)

Old 08-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
Zabuza
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If anyone's lurking, I need advice sooner rather than later...so please post what you think.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
Insomniac
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Well, if it was me I would just leave it to do its thing. Just push any floating pulp down a bit each day to stop it drying out or forming a seal. When I bought some dragon fruit last year to try (they were red skinned with white flesh and tiny black seeds, are yours the same?) I found the taste to be rather subtle and the seeds to be almost spicey rather than bitter like many fruit seeds. I actually posted asking if anyone had used them, noone seemed to have so I doubt you will get a deffinitive answer. Keep us informed with how it ends up though as if its good I may have to give it a go.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
Zabuza
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

From what I understand, there are a bunch of different varieties of dragon fruit, but you can split them into three broad categories: red outside with white flesh, red outside with purple/pink flesh, and yellow outside with white flesh. I made mine with the second variety, which was a dark purple when I purchased it. But yeah, lots of little black seeds in the flesh, consistency is the same amongst all varietals, etc., etc.

I'll post a pic later, but I have green jars so it'll mainly be a photo of pulp and whatnot.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:08 AM   #7
Zabuza
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

image-1659600200.jpg

I took a photo of a sample I had today, about two weeks after pitching. The photo doesn't do it justice - this stuff is a bright, neon purple. That's definitely pretty awesome (calling it Dragons blood due to the color/dragon fruit). Additionally, the dragon fruit really added some amazing flavors to this mead - there's a nice, vibrant passionfruity tartness that mellows out fairly quick into a barely there sweetness. I think the seeds have added the former flavor, and boy is it good.

OG - 1.126
Current SG - 1.21
ABV - 13.76%

Quick Reply