Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Heat during fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2011, 12:04 AM   #1
BoxMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default Heat during fermentation?

Hey, All - so, lurked here for a few days, thought I'd speak up.

I recently started my first batch (go figure! another first timer thread!), per stormthecastle's "quick, easy, cheap" guide.

I followed everything to a "T", as it were, but I think I'm running in to a problem with climate control. See, I live in a basement apartment, and the controls for the central air / heat are upstairs. Typically this isn't a problem, other than it gets a little cold at night.

I've got my first batch of mead in primary, and I noticed that over night (on those few nights when it's actually cold), fermentation would slow down considerably, then it would pick up during the day.

So, I thought "why not move the mead to the living room, where the heater vents are?" It was working out fine, until today - where for some reason, the heat was much warmer than usual - felt at least 80 degrees, if not higher. I was gone for a few hours, and when I got back, the jug was warm to the touch. Not sure how hot it was, and I'm not sure how long for - maybe 4, 5 hours tops?

I took a whiff of the fumes coming off of it, and it doesn't smell any different than usual. I know that's not the best indicator, but it's all I have to go by.

So the big questions is did it get too hot, for too long, and is my first batch screwed? . Will I be able to tell any time during primary, secondary, or will I only know when it's time to bottle it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I think you should be just fine. I'd probably just keep it in a place that would allow the least amount of temp swings. As long as it doesn't get down to low and stall, it'll be better to have it at low temps than high temps. I don't really know the working temp range of bread yeast though.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:48 AM   #3
BoxMan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That's good to hear. It hasn't ever totally stalled, luckily. I didn't realize how drafty my kitchen was until the other night, but it hasn't been very cold this winter. I'll probably just stick it in the corner, and hold out for secondary. I'm going to start a few more 1 gallon batches (the "right" way) with my brother in law tomorrow, and I hope to find decent place around here to store them.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
huesmann
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just wrap the carboy in a blanket or something wherever you put it to insulate it against the temperature swings, or at least to help it swing slower.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:12 AM   #5
oldude309
Recipes 

What yeast did you use? I used a stormcastle recipe that called for Lavin D-47 or bread yeast, I used D-47 and found out it works best under 68*. Jim (59*-68* for Lavin D-47)

Last edited by oldude309; 12-16-2011 at 12:15 AM.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:34 AM   #6
Bugeaud
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Space heater if it gets really cold?

Old 12-17-2011, 12:19 AM   #7
BoxMan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I used some ActiveDry bread yeast, for that batch. I could always just store them in my bedroom (most constant temperature), but that would get pretty crowded, quick.

I just made another gallon batch (blackberry) with my brother in law, and I'm about to start up a 3rd. I definitely got bit by the mead making bug.

It finally got cold today, and I've got them sitting about 6 feet away from a space heater. They're at about 70 degrees right now, and doing well.

Looks like in about 6 - 12 months, I'll have a good amount of homemade mead.

Quick Reply