Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > has anyone made a red hot's mead yet?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 11:22 PM   #11
Clifton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I know I'm resurrecting this thread but I figure this is the best place. I made a 1 gallon test batch and used Red Hots. I started with 77 grams. That is about how much 10 Fireballs weigh. It was nowhere near hot enough. I ended up using 12 ounces. It took my FG from 1.004 to 1.040. I'll be using Atomic Fireballs next time. How much does your gravity increase when you add them and how powerful is the cinnamon taste? I really want to be punched in the face (by the cinnamon). Someone on here said they made one and it tasted like you were drinking the candy. That is what I want.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #12
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
I know I'm resurrecting this thread but I figure this is the best place. I made a 1 gallon test batch and used Red Hots. I started with 77 grams. That is about how much 10 Fireballs weigh. It was nowhere near hot enough. I ended up using 12 ounces. It took my FG from 1.004 to 1.040. I'll be using Atomic Fireballs next time. How much does your gravity increase when you add them and how powerful is the cinnamon taste? I really want to be punched in the face (by the cinnamon). Someone on here said they made one and it tasted like you were drinking the candy. That is what I want.
Did you add the candy after it was dry or still fermenting? Traditional mead as your base? But you did not use Fireballs, just the little red hots?

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 01-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #13
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

No fireballs just red hots. I added them to a cider after it was dry and clear. I realize this is in the mead forum and I didn't specify that I used cider. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #14
cubbre
Recipes 

I made one with apple juice and five boxes redhots turned out awesome

Old 01-25-2013, 10:11 PM   #15
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am thinking of making a traditional mead as the base, but incorporating 10 Harney & Sons Cinnamon Spice tea bags per gallon, steep like a tea. Or maybe 50% apple juice, the cinnamon tea making up the rest, and add 10 atomic fireballs per gallon once it is dry. If you have ever tasted the tea I am speaking of then you will likely understand the reason it should be a great addition to the recipe (black tea, citrus peel, cloves, cinnamon bark, etc).

I stumbled across a recipe from 2008 Homebrew Conference.. http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/fireballmead in case anyone was interested. It uses a cinnamon oil, and I do believe you can find a distilled cinnamon bark extract which is alcohol soluble, Olive Nation may carry one.

And this recipe incorporates Red Zinger tea, which is hibiscus, peppermint and something else--lemongrass? http://pastebin.com/8gCk3iBs

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 01-28-2013, 05:23 AM   #16
xjbobbin82
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer View Post
One redhot mead/cider 3 weeks old.
2 pounds honey, 3/4 gallon cider, whole bunch of redhots!

JOAM and a Lemon Mead on either side as well.

Been a while, but if you don't mind me asking.. how did this turn out???

Quick Reply