Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Good Batch Size

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
EndlessPurple
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Good Batch Size

From reading on here it seems a lot of mead makers here do a 1 gallon batch and some do larger batches. Right now I have several 1 gal carboys which I have my first meads in. I was looking at getting some 3 gal carboys for larger batches as I am concerned about the 1 gal size being too small.

Those that have been making mead a while: what size batches work out well in terms of useability?

my concern on the one gal is that only 5 bottles would be gone quick if the mead came out good, but I could be wrong and that is a good amount before ready to move on to the next flavor of the day.

If I do 5 gal batches, I would imagine the bottles of mead would start to collect fast, esp if one wanted to try to make new batches every 1 or 2 months.

That is why I was wondering if 3 gal would be a happy medium or am I completely off on how far each bottle may go?

Any input on how much you make and how far it last based on how it is drank/shared would help me in terms of buying more carboys. So far I am having fun making the different batches - just none are old enough to drink yet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Goofynewfie
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 26

the advantage of doing a 5 gallon batch is that you can split it in into 5 seperate 1 gallon batches when it is done and then add different berries, spices, etc to each batch

You cant always be young but you can always be immature

Old 06-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

I like doing 3-5 gallon batches

Old 06-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I like making ~4 gallons in 1/6bbl sanke kegs. I would be very aware of headspace for the batches too. Trying to make 3 or 5 gallons in a vessel that same size (rating) is a recipe for cleanup. Leave at least 1/2-3/4 of a gallon headspace in the vessel so that you don't make a sticky mess.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 06-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
Egghead
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I usually ferment my meads in 3-gallon carboys. I usually use 2 gallons of water. With the volume of honey, that is somewhere in the 2.5 gallon range, which leaves just about the right amount of headspace. I did have to use a 5 gallon carboy on a melomel recently, because it used a large amount of fruit juice.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
knotquiteawake
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Is there a cheap place to get the 3 gallon carboys? I was thinking the same thing regarding batch size. My first batch is 5 gallons because I'm fairly confident I'll like it (blueberry). But 1 gallon seems a bit small, 3 gallons seemed like a happy medium.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
Egghead
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotquiteawake
Is there a cheap place to get the 3 gallon carboys? I was thinking the same thing regarding batch size. My first batch is 5 gallons because I'm fairly confident I'll like it (blueberry). But 1 gallon seems a bit small, 3 gallons seemed like a happy medium.
I have just been getting mine from a local place to avoid shipping costs (and to make sure the glass isn't cracked). I think the product cost here is a little high though. Sorry I don't have any helpful suggestions.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #8
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

A 5 gal batch is sort of the standard size. I find that I can get about 2 cases out of it of 12 oz bottles. That's 8 sixpacks or 48 bottles. To me that is not too much. I habitually squirl away 1 sixpack for the future anyway and I have friends that love my mead. So yeah, a 5-6 gal batch is fine. Unfortunately I only have 8 carboys. So this means I do about 16 batches at most a year. That is still under 1/3 of the maximum for home brewing in my state (250 gal a year). It would be nice to have the honey money do do that much, let alone the space.

Matrix

Old 06-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #9
knotquiteawake
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

For me the issue wouldn't be having "too much" mead, but like you said "honey money" is limited. So I would rather have a diversity of options than a lot of a few.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:51 AM   #10
TheBrewingMedic
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Many spring water companies that make larger 3,4 and 5 gallon waterbottles for home water coolers, use the type 1 I think it is bottles now that are non permeable to oxygen and stuff, I find they work great for primary fermenters and if you have a recycling center near by that you can make a friend at they will usually just give them to you, I've gotten 4, 4gallon ones in the last month from there for free.

Quick Reply