Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Going out of town. What should I do?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
firestem4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Going out of town. What should I do?

Hi all,

My mead has been coming along pretty nicely and I think i'm nearing or at my final gravity, or at least what should be a final gravity.

I'm at 1.017 right now. My O.G. was 1.102. This puts me at 11.03% ABV. I am using Wyeast 4148 which the MFG states has a range of 10-11%.

I'm leaving friday and will be gone till tuesday, and though there seems to be some yeast still going, I'm not sure how long till they stall out.

So my question is, Do I leave it fermenting till it stops? And if that happens over the weekend, is leaving it on the lees with the yeast at its alcahol limit going to be bad for the mead? Off-flavors or anything?

Or should I put it into the fridge to stop fermentation and try sending the yeast into a dormant state. This way they'll flocculate and I can rack later.

Or just rack to seconday tomorrow before I leave for my trip?

Thanks for taking a read. Any advice is appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
Insomniac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

You will be fine leaving it for that amount of time, even the most dangerous yeasts to leave will be fine for a couple of months after fermentantion has stopped and the others can go even longer, I usually end up leaving mine for a good 3 months now due to lack of spare time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply