The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Ginger Cyser Recipe Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2010, 03:21 AM   #11
benjamin123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Update:

I added another 1/2 gallon of juice a day after fermentation started. I didn't take a gravity before adding the juice (dumb), but after the gravity was 1.110. This was a half-hearted attempt to correct for overly high OG with leftover juice.

This fermented out a lot faster than I expected. It was down to .999 yesterday so I racked.

In the blender I ground up about a pound of peeled ginger mixed with some apple juice.

I heated the mixture till just simmering, to release more of the flavors, then divided it between two 1 gallon carboys.

I racked the the cyser onto the ginger apple juice, added a clove and some crushed black pepper to each gallon, stirred and capped with an airlock.

There was quite a sulfur smell when I racked. Because I'm only a week in, I'm hoping it was just rhino farts. Other than the smell, it tasted great.

Fermentation has picked up again quite nicely. No bad smells are coming from the airlock.

LHBS owner said he made something almost identical with the addition of rum soaked oak chips, and said it turned out great. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I'll rack to clean carboys when fermentation stops again and all the sediment settles, then let it bulk age for a good while.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #12
JackofME
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Can we revisit this recipe

Did this turn out like you intended, your reasoning for the recipe fits me to a T, so I am curious how this turned out 3 years later. One pound of ginger for 2 gallons on juice seems like a lot, I was actually thinking of using 1/2 pound and maybe some sort of chili pepper to get the heat level up. Any thoughts?

Old 02-15-2014, 11:41 AM   #13
boqa
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default Yes, how did it go?

Please let us know! I'm considering making something similar myself and found your posts through the search.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply