Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > German Chocolate Coffee Mead
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
summersolstice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Nebraska, USA
Posts: 1,515
Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Default German Chocolate Coffee Mead

I replied to another post regarding coffee in wine and had a request for some more info on a mead I made last year and, rather than hijack the thread, I said I'd post something here.

I bought some whole-bean German Chocolate coffee beans, ground them and cold steeped them and added it to a traditional mead that had just finished and was ready to bulk age. I did the same thing with some saffron and other spices and added them to the same traditional mead.

The German Chocolate flavor really came through and by cold steeping the coffee I didn't get as much of the harsh oils that you get in a hot brewed coffee. Since the fermentation was already finished, I also added a little more honey to the carboy and I was quite please with the finished product several months later.

As a coffee roaster and dedicated coffee drinker, I don't drink anything but freshly roasted and ground coffee - black, thank you - and I actually threw away the remainder of the whole beans rather than drink them. However, this is a mead and the chocolate and coconut lend themselves very well to the mead. All in all I'm happy with it though I'll likely try a different coffee next time.

__________________

summersolstice is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2009, 02:05 AM   #2
Tusch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Spring Valley, Ohio
Posts: 1,381
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Thanks solstice, glad to hear your take on it. I intend to do a coffee mead in the coming months so I'm glad to hear it turned out well. Did you stabilize before adding honey back? And at what sweetness would you say you left this?

__________________
Meads: Hababero and Sarrano Capiscumel, Show Mead possibly getting split and flavored, and 12 gallons of Bochet Deliciousness
Ciders:3 Ciders with differing additives TBD, Strawberry/Apple Cider
Wine: Black Cherry Vanilla Port
Tusch is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
summersolstice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Nebraska, USA
Posts: 1,515
Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Default

Yes, I always stabilize prior to back sweetening. I've had corks blow before. I entered this, along with a saffron mead and a sweet potato mead in a mead competition a couple of weeks ago and all three were entered as semi sweet. I know that covers a lot of ground but I almost never take a gravity reading after I back sweeten. Too lazy I guess.

__________________
summersolstice is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
wdtunstall
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 12
Default

How much coffee did you add? How much ground beans to how much water? What size was the batch? Coconut? was that an extract or juice? how much? Jeez Man! I'm a noob at this and need some guidance. A recipe would be good...

Seriously, though: I really don't want the Wife to nag me about "Why don't you know what you're doing? You spend all of this money on honey and crap and you ruin it because you don't know what you're doing". Lordy.

Thanks for any help,
Doug the henpecked Hubby.

__________________
wdtunstall is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2009, 08:09 PM   #5
summersolstice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Nebraska, USA
Posts: 1,515
Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdtunstall View Post
How much coffee did you add? How much ground beans to how much water? What size was the batch? Coconut? was that an extract or juice? how much? Jeez Man! I'm a noob at this and need some guidance. A recipe would be good...

Seriously, though: I really don't want the Wife to nag me about "Why don't you know what you're doing? You spend all of this money on honey and crap and you ruin it because you don't know what you're doing". Lordy.

Thanks for any help,
Doug the henpecked Hubby.
I simply added the cold brewed coffee to a one gallon batch of back sweetened traditional mead (fermented honey and water) and bulk aged for several months. I ground about four ounces, though I'd likely go with 6-8 next time. I used about a cup of water so the mead wouldn't get too thin. The coconut and chocolate is added to the coffee beans during roasting and you buy them that way.
__________________
summersolstice is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2009, 04:05 AM   #6
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
homebrewer_99's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Posts: 17,951
Liked 87 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersolstice View Post
...I bought some whole-bean German Chocolate coffee beans, ground them and cold steeped them and added it to a traditional mead that had just finished and was ready to bulk age...The German Chocolate flavor really came through...
Please explain...I lived in Germany or 9 years and never once saw coffee growing in Germany...

Are you referring to "German's Chocolate", as in the cake? If so, it's not German, but German's, meaning it was the bakers name who created the cake recipe...not that he was "German" (although his name would indicate so), he was English.

Hey, they're cousins and they know it.
__________________
HB Bill

homebrewer_99 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
Tusch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Spring Valley, Ohio
Posts: 1,381
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default

yup he is referring to the cake and no I never knew that was the history of the name. Cool lil anecdote.


*edit: Oh and it looks like it is named for the Englishman but was in fact not made by him. He originally made the chocolate for the English company Baker's. In 1957 in Texas (Dallas I think) someone sent in a recipe to a newspaper for the cake we know today. It used German's Chocolate made by the Baker's company since the mid 1800's. So it is named German's Chocolate Cake (or German Chocolate Cake more commonly) but it was made up by a Texan in the 1950's using a chocolate made up by an Englishman in the 1850's.

__________________
Meads: Hababero and Sarrano Capiscumel, Show Mead possibly getting split and flavored, and 12 gallons of Bochet Deliciousness
Ciders:3 Ciders with differing additives TBD, Strawberry/Apple Cider
Wine: Black Cherry Vanilla Port

Tusch is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2009, 12:01 AM   #8
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
homebrewer_99's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Posts: 17,951
Liked 87 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusch View Post
yup he is referring to the cake and no I never knew that was the history of the name. Cool lil anecdote.


*edit: Oh and it looks like it is named for the Englishman but was in fact not made by him. He originally made the chocolate for the English company Baker's. In 1957 in Texas (Dallas I think) someone sent in a recipe to a newspaper for the cake we know today. It used German's Chocolate made by the Baker's company since the mid 1800's. So it is named German's Chocolate Cake (or German Chocolate Cake more commonly) but it was made up by a Texan in the 1950's using a chocolate made up by an Englishman in the 1850's.
Yeah, what he said...
__________________
HB Bill
homebrewer_99 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2009, 03:23 AM   #9
potatoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersolstice View Post
The coconut and chocolate is added to the coffee beans during roasting and you buy them that way.
As a professional coffee roaster, I am flabbergasted.
__________________
potatoe is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #10
summersolstice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Nebraska, USA
Posts: 1,515
Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoe View Post
As a professional coffee roaster, I am flabbergasted.
I understand what you mean. As a home coffee roaster I too am flabbergasted. As I said in an earlier post, it was pretty good in mead but I threw away 75% of the bag after I made the mead because I will not drink flavored coffee.

I had a friend who was a professional roaster and he made these "flavored" coffees because his customers bought them and they sold well. However on roasting day you could smell the stench of burning sugars and flavorings for blocks away.
__________________
summersolstice is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
German Chocolate Stout sirsloop Stout 39 10-15-2014 03:11 PM
All-Grain - Chocolate Coffee Stout (Chocolate Jitterz) FermentEd Stout 80 07-28-2014 12:54 AM
Chocolate Coffee Stout Shonuff Recipes/Ingredients 6 03-01-2011 08:31 PM
German Chocolate Stout 2 cercueil Recipes/Ingredients 0 09-19-2009 02:44 AM
German Chocolate Stout? sirsloop Recipes/Ingredients 23 07-22-2006 05:30 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS