New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Gelatin okay to use after oak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
chode720
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Gelatin okay to use after oak

I have a mead that has been sitting on some French Oak and I am about ready to bottle. However, everytime I move the mead, the fine yeast at the bottom swirls up and clouds the mead again. I would like to use some gelatin to coagulate these yeast particles more and keep them at the bottom when I try and move the secondary.

I have used it with great success in my beers before, but I know that gelatine can remove some tannins. I only added the oak to add a little bit of tannin and mouthfeel to the mead (similar to a white wine), not to add a strong oak character like a red wine.

I am just wondering if adding the gelatin will remove any of the tannins or mouthfeel/complexity from the mead that I have gained from oaking.

Thanks!

Primary1: Pumpkin Ale
Primary2: Christmas Ale
Pimary3: Apfelwein
Secondary: Sour Brown
Drinking: Warrior Pale Ale, Wit, American Rye

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2010, 01:31 AM   #2
MedsenFey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

It probably won't have a huge impact on the oak aroma and flavor, but it probably won't make the lees significantly more dense either. Meads tend to be very low in tannins so there just isn't much for gelatin to bind with. It is normal for the lees to get stirred up when it moves but they will usually drop back down again with 24-48 hours. If you just place it somewhere so that if won't have to move until you are ready to rack it, you should be able to leave most of them behind.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply