Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Garage Pasteurization

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012, 03:03 AM   #1
ChasidicCalvinist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Garage Pasteurization

I went out into my garage tonight to get some meat out of the freezer and it was still super hot. Tomorrow it is supposed to be 101...though now I see 98. Anyway, I figure it will hit at least 110 in the garage...I could also put a space heater in there and up it. Anyway my question is, would it be possible to put some mead in the garage and just leave it in there all day to pasteurize it?

so whether you eat or drink, whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

http://acts2815.wordpress.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 03:14 AM   #2
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

To pasteurize, I think the mead would have to at least get past 140°. Not only is that a monumental waste of energy (heating an entire garage for pasteurization), but it's probably not going to be good for other things you might have in the garage. Not to mention that exposing mead to such a high temp for such a long period probably won't be too good for it.

Either way, there's no way it's worth it. If you want to do something like it anyways, you'd probably be better off putting it in a car directly in the sun, with the windows up. You'll need a thermometer in there to make sure temps are sufficiently high. While you're at it, I strongly encourage you to take a picture of the thermometer and pm it (along with the date and location) to the HBT user by the name of marubozo - he's compiling important data on the matter. The same applies to anyone that wants to help him out by taking a picture of a car thermometer.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:15 AM   #3
roadymi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post

Either way, there's no way it's worth it. If you want to do something like it anyways, you'd probably be better off putting it in a car directly in the sun, with the windows up. You'll need a thermometer in there to make sure temps are sufficiently high. While you're at it, I strongly encourage you to take a picture of the thermometer and pm it (along with the date and location) to the HBT user by the name of marubozo - he's compiling important data on the matter. The same applies to anyone that wants to help him out by taking a picture of a car thermometer.
A time lapsed photo of it exploding on the car interior would be epic.

Quick Reply