Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Game of Thrones Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #91
jcalisi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeeb View Post
Last Friday at the Mazer Cup mixer, I had the opportunity to sample some 30 or so meads, and one - a capsimel - was a really nice balance between heat and sweet. So here is what I am going to make for this...

"Calisi's Capsimel"

4 gallon batch

10 lbs honey (will source all or part of this from Colorado if I can)
10 serrano peppers (also sourced here or neighboring New Mexico)
5 passion fruit (Daenerys Targaryen - Calisi - exudes passion!)
2 qts raspberries to add sweetness and color

OG should be somewhere around 1.12, FG around 1.020, around 11 or 12% of sweet hot goodness, just like Emilia Clarke!
I think your going to have to pay me for the right to use my name A six pack sampling will do...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #92
MarshmallowBlue
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 56

RE: RE: Red wedding

I'm actually not doing the red wedding anymore, unless someone else was doing it too in which case I'm way out of line. Now Im doing The Cheese-monger's reserve. I had a bunch of pictures earlier in the thread. I still need to check the gravity on it and maybe rack it.

Lifetime goal: 7,777 gallons --- gallons made 48
My Home Brew Blog
My Home-brewing Pinterest < It's a beautiful thing.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #93
jessebymail
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

[QUOTE="jcalisi"]

Not to harp or anything but I believe it's Khaleesi. I like the recipe, go for it!

Old 04-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #94
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Ive actually been thinking of trying my first big mead with blackberry. Might be calling this Blackwater's Blackberry Mead

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 04-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #95
Marmike600
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearmaul View Post
I've been giving this Game of Thrones mead idea a lot of thought. Unfortunately I have a very limited brewing setup right now so it will take me forever to get through any of this stuff, but I have a basic plan lined up. I took a lot of inspiration from suggestions in this thread (particularly on the Lannister mead) but here's what I'm planning.

Winterfell/Starks - spiced cinnamon cyser with caramelized honey
Warm and inviting like the hospitality of the North. Imagine coming into a warm house after being out in the blustery cold and snow and getting a hot cup of it.

Casterly Rock/Lannister - Cherry vanilla melomel with 24k gold flakes
Heavy on the cherry so it's nice and deep red. 24k gold flakes a la Goldschlager for the classic red & gold Lannister color combo.

Eyrie/Arryn - strawberry melon melomel with mint
The Eyrie is high up on a mountaintop, with pretty consistent chilly winds. I wanted to represent that with an ultimately light, sweet and refreshing mead.

The Wall/Night's Watch - blackberry and black currant melomel racked over oak chips
Blackberry and black currant for obvious reasons :P

I'm totally stumped on Iron Islands/Greyjoy... a seaweed melomel with rocks and salt. yum.
For the Iron Islands/Greyjoy- maybe a salted caramel of some kind?

Bottled:
Graff, Head Scratcher IPA Hefe, Blackberry/Raspberry Skeeter Pee, Angel Flight IPA, Hop Scare IPA, Centennial IPA

Old 05-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #96
Marmike600
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Was thinking about a mead called "Iron Price"

Salted caramel and oak chips. Not sure how to do the caramel but I have read some suggestions about meadowfoam honey.

Bottled:
Graff, Head Scratcher IPA Hefe, Blackberry/Raspberry Skeeter Pee, Angel Flight IPA, Hop Scare IPA, Centennial IPA

Old 05-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #97
Zaffo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

For The Iron Islands, make your favorite mead. Call it "Silence", and tell your friends to "Shut up and drink it!".

- Johnny Dangerously

Old 05-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #98
MarshmallowBlue
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Could also fortify a mead with Kraken Rum?

Lifetime goal: 7,777 gallons --- gallons made 48
My Home Brew Blog
My Home-brewing Pinterest < It's a beautiful thing.

Marmike600 Likes This 
Old 05-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #99
Marmike600
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshmallowBlue View Post
Could also fortify a mead with Kraken Rum?
That would be good and it would give it a black inky color.

Bottled:

Old 05-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #100
drchris83
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

Awesome thread! I immediately had some ideas:

- "Wild" mead for north of the Wall: a weak mead using wild fermentation, perhaps something using bits of the hive with it (can be bought at Turkish grocery stores)?
- Like the idea of adding dark berries and aging it on oak for the night's watch.
- For Winterfell and possibly the whole North, there's got to be some heather or juniper flavoring there! A juniper spiced bochet, or a heather-infused light mead, perhaps?
- for the Neck, bog myrtle would be an appropriate seasoning.
- The Eyrie: up in the mountains, the last trees that grow are pines. Where I live, there is pine honey and there are great meads made from it. Alternatively, a "normal" mead could be imfused with gentian root, which is the base of a popular bitter spirit in the Alps.
- Casterly Rock: I definitely love the idea of gold flakes. I think though, that the general taste in Westeros goes towards the sweet, so I think the mead of Casterly Rock needs to be heavy, strong, and sweet as well as ruby red in color. Also, they'd save up exclusive vintages for their feasts, and they have the capital needed for maintaining extensive cellars, so I think oak aging should be considered. Oh, and also, saffron is very useful for displaying one's wealth, so maybe something along those lines?
- The Riverlands: I can picturelush green meadows there, so I guess wildflower mead would be appropriate. Maybe infused with dandelion floewrs?
- Dorne: I think it has to be orange blossom, or maybe JAOM, there's an abundance of blood orange trees theree. Alternatively, one could imagine some of their strongwines or sweetwines not being wines per se but actually pyment, I should think.
- Dothraki: being nomadic, they couldn't carry oak casks or other such stuff with them, at least not in quantity. So, in order to have enough alcohol, I think they'd drink their brews very young. If the make mead at all - and I can see all kinds of supply problems regarding honey in the Dothraki sea - it would have to be hydromel drunk while still in primary or something like that.
- Slave Cities: these have access to all kinds of expensive spices and would probably use a lot of them to season their brews as well. Cinnamon, star anise, cardamom, saffron, pepper, etc. Maybe one "signature" spiced mead for each city, using one or at the very most, two spices? Some of the old Ghiscari cities seem to share some properties with ancient Greece or Byzantium, and rose aromas are prominent in their cuisines. Maybe a rose-flavored mead for one of them?
- Iron Islands: they look down on farming and probably only drink to get wasted. I think they wouldn't make any mead of their own but rather loot what they can from trading ships. The mead appropriate for them is probably any of the above, with some oak character and a sip of sea water or three.

Quick Reply