Fruit Trade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTG

Farm Out!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Peoria, AZ - Originally from Rocket City USA
Through some lucky relationships that I've made, I've been able to get some really good, local fresh fruit and honey here locally in Phoenix. Anyone on here ever do any trades of fruit? My idea would be to freeze it, package with dry ice and ship to someone else that has something I need.
For instance, I started late in the mulberry season here and only collected about 2.75 pounds of mulberries. My goal was to get at least 5 - 7 pounds for a recipe. I have run into a plethora of fresh local peaches lately and would be willing to set up some kind of trade if someone were willing.

GTG

I would be interested in some prickly pears. Not too easy to come by in large amounts up hear. I don't know what you can get your hands on, but raspberries grow like crazy hear in late summer! Let me know if ya might be interested. :D

I would be interested in some prickly pears. Not too easy to come by in large amounts up hear. I don't know what you can get your hands on, but raspberries grow like crazy hear in late summer! Let me know if ya might be interested. :D

I'd be interested in some raspberries or some good CO honey if possible. I'll post some pictures soon of the prickly pears I've got my eyes on and you can take your pick and we can work something out I'm sure.

I'm supposed to get a bunch of peaches this week too so if someone is looking for 10 plus pounds of homegrown peaches then post up and let me know.
Thanks,
GTG

Got a big load of fruit from some friends last night. I've got lots of extra peaches to go to someone who might need them. I could dress and freeze them to ship with dry ice but a local member might be the best recipient. Anyone in the Phoenix area want to trade?

GTG

how did you go about collecting the mullberries? i have three trees in my backyard that are just now getting good and ripe, with several more in walking distance. it seems like a big pain to try and do it by hand.

how did you go about collecting the mullberries? i have three trees in my backyard that are just now getting good and ripe, with several more in walking distance. it seems like a big pain to try and do it by hand.

I got into my friends trees late in the season and most of the good early fruit had already dropped so we did 99% of it by hand. My idea to try was to lay out tarps on the ground, shake the tree limbs and theorectically I could just dump them off of the tarps and into a bucket. But as I mentioned all of the early ripe fruit had already dropped and was beat. I have read about a chef in TX that did this same thing with old bed sheets. Be aware that your hands WILL get stained purple. Laytex gloves while picking or a good triple hand wash with Oxyclean will take care of it though.

GTG

I've collected 25 lbs of good ripe prickly pear fruit today and plan on going after about the same amount of a different variety on Sunday. I can ship some out in a prepaid box for about $11.00 anywhere in the continental US. That box will hold about 10 lbs fruit. If you're interested in a trade, let me know. I can post up pictures later or email them as well. I'm interested in fruit or honey for trading if you're into trading.
Thanks,
GTG

i'll check back in on monday after my two day blackberry hunt if i can stand the mosquitos long enough to pick for myself and a trade. i think the raspberry season is pretty much over here adn i only came out with a handful or so(the bushes were trimmed down a bit this year) but blackberries are pretty abundant. :)

I've still got a mess of prickly pear fruit to get rid of and I'm going to put more away in the freezer. If anyone is interested in a trade or even just paying for the shipping and a bit for my time, let me know. A USPS flat rate box should carry about 7 - 10 lbs of fruit and only costs $11.00 to ship anywhere in the continental US. If you need pictures, I can supply them.

Thanks,
GTG

Slightly off topic, but I found frozen Maine wild blueberries at Trader Joes.
Domestic blueberries are to wild blueberries as Fruit Flavored Life Savers are to fruit.

I would love to get some prickly pear off of you. Please PM the price with shipping and your handling cost shipping to Denver, CO 80227.Thanks.

I would love to get some prickly pear off of you. Please PM the price with shipping and your handling cost shipping to Denver, CO 80227.Thanks.

PM sent. The fruit is ripening up well here in town. The ones I have been getting are a crimson but I've got my eyes on some that are more violet in color.

GTG

i may be interested in some prick pears. Need to see what the prices are on currants this week at the farmers market.

If they are the near 6.00 per pound i was looking at i may not.
May be i can barter a bit.

i may be interested in some prick pears. Need to see what the prices are on currants this week at the farmers market.

If they are the near 6.00 per pound i was looking at i may not.
May be i can barter a bit.

Bartering is good. I have flat rate boxes that hold just less than 10 lbs prickly pear fruit. The flat rate box ships to anywhere in the Continental US for $10.70.

GTG

Are you able to get a hold of the prickly pears nearly every year? If so it would be something I want to do but just do not have the funds this year. Or maybe are you freezing enough that in a month or two you would sell some?

Are you able to get a hold of the prickly pears nearly every year? If so it would be something I want to do but just do not have the funds this year. Or maybe are you freezing enough that in a month or two you would sell some?

I'm sure I could find them every year. Fruit quality is not the same just as is the case with any fruit crop. This year's crop is pretty big and abundant due to a lot of winter rains. I'm sure that I'll put back enough to spare so I can probably help you out.

GTG

We've had rain in the last week that has seemed to make the prickly pears swell quite a bit. I just picked another 5 gallon bucket of some beauties that are a violet/crimson color. I'm planning on putting away more this weekend if I can. Since it's Mead Day Saturday, I'll be cleaning some frozen fruit out of the freezer to go into some recipes and making room for the prickly pears. If you want some, send me a PM and we can work out a trade. If you can't trade, I'm thinking $25.00 for 10 lbs shipped anywhere in the continental USA.

GTG

mexican fruit markets have them

Yes most of them do have them seasonally and if you're lucky you've got one close by to get some. Most prickly pear fruit I've seen in stores have been mostly green and beaten up pretty well. Mine are picked ripe and ready to go.
I'm just trying to get some trading within the community to get some items traded out with members that they might not otherwise be able to obtain and likewise for myself. For instance, I probably wouldn't be able to get Montana hucklberries without trading for them.

GTG

I had a bunch of figs gifted to me this year. Turned them into faux strawberry/raspberry jam, peach & fig chutney, brandied figs with almonds and brandied fig sauce. No mead. Has anyone tasted a fig mead?

FYI, figs are very delicate. They overripen and mold very quickly. Usually need to use them within 24 hours of picking or they start going south quick. Cold ship them pronto.

So I got my shipment of prickly pears and I'm very pleased and stoked to get to using them. They got hear to Denver in just the nick of time. They were a little on the soft side but don't appear over ripe. I rushed to put them in the freezer and between freezing and boiling i think any germs should be killed off.

I can definately recommend GTG for fruit trades!

I'd be in for just a straight shipment of Prickly Pear. One box should make 12oz of nectar you would think right? PM me with a price please!

So I got my shipment of prickly pears and I'm very pleased and stoked to get to using them. They got hear to Denver in just the nick of time. They were a little on the soft side but don't appear over ripe. I rushed to put them in the freezer and between freezing and boiling i think any germs should be killed off.

I can definately recommend GTG for fruit trades!

Got my ambrosia honey yesterday, it's going to make some great mead I think.

Thanks,
GTG

So I've been eyeing my favorite prickly pear patches lately and they're coming in nice and red again this year. I should have some nice ripe ones in another month or so. If anyone is interested, I still would like to trade prickly pears for other fruit, honey or brewing supplies. I'm not looking to make money, just get some southwest fruit out to some of those who don't have access to them. I can get right around 9 lbs of prickly pears in a standard flat rate USPS box that ships anywhere in the continental US for $10.70. I did a number of these trades last year with members and no one was dissapointed. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks,GTG

Im interested in doing this again. If it was legal id send ya a bottle from last year. Lol! I could send some of that Ambrosia honey again if you like?

So, I looked up the policies and FedEx/UPS will only ship of you are a licensed dealer and agree to there terms. USPS will not ship alcohol at all :(... It look like we are stuck to swapping fruit for honey. LOL! (not that its bad!). So same trade as last year? I get paid in a week or so. Not sure when the fruit is ripe though...

Oh, oops!
GTG
So, I looked up the policies and FedEx/UPS will only ship of you are a licensed dealer and agree to there terms. USPS will not ship alcohol at all :(... It look like we are stuck to swapping fruit for honey. LOL! (not that its bad!). So same trade as last year? I get paid in a week or so. Not sure when the fruit is ripe though...

Fruit has a few weeks more to go. I could probably use 2 of the 5 lb Ambrosia's if we could arrange something?

Here's a picture of the fruit currently. They are close to ripe, a few weeks and they'll be ready to use. They have a very sweet taste already just not the color yet.
PricklyPears1.jpg

GTG

Just to follow up. The prickly pears are ripening really nicely. I'll be headed to MO for a week starting September 16th and returning on September 24th. I'll start shipping out fruit that weeek that we get back unless anyone wants them before then? I'll post pictures later this coming week of their readiness.

GTG

Latest posts

Back