Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Fruit preparation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2007, 04:44 AM   #11
Cheesefood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

Man, the session couldn't have gone worse.

First off, I ruined a white t-shirt, but that's the least of the problems.

I poured about 4 gallons of water into my pot and added 6 pounds of blueberries and got the heat up. Then I realized that I have a group project due tomorrow, so I had to work on that while trying to make my mel. In between breaks, I'd strain the fruit and put it in my blender then pour it back in.

After turning off the heat and sanitizing my carboy, I started to rack. As I cleared up some room, I poured in the honey, then another gallon of water to cool everything down. Are you paying attention? 5 gallons of water, 6 pounds of fruit, 12 pounds of honey.

As I came close to filling up my carboy, I realized my noob mistake. So I had to run downstairs and pull out a plastic carboy and sanitize it. I wanted to make some room in my glass carboy, to I put the funnel in the plastic and tried to pour.

After realizing I'm a frickin' idiot, I put the glass carboy on the counter and racked to my plastic. When I had enough room, I poured some more blended fruit into the glass carboy.

No clue what the OG is, since I can't find my hydrometer. It can't be high. And since I didn't take the time to set the pot outside to cool down, it's too hot to pitch.

Oh yeah, I need to be at work at 7:00am tomorrow morning, and my wife is out of town so I need to get my son ready by myself. And did I mention that the cleaning people come tomorrow, AND the garbage? Hey, guess what? Blueberry melomel is a FREAKING MESS. (But it tastes awesome).

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2007, 07:11 AM   #12
mew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Wow! sounds hectic! I just add the fruit frozen, thawed, and crushed to secondary because that way I don't have to boil the fruit (the alcohol keeps the must from getting infected). But your way should work fine.

Keg 2: Empty

Old 01-24-2007, 12:18 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4480 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBrewer
Lorena,
What do you use for your fermenter when you make wine from whole fruit? I was told not to use any buckets that I made beer in. Do you have separate buckets for beer and wine?
No, I don't. I just use the same buckets. I only primary my wine until the s.g. is 1.020 or so, and that's usually about 4 days at most. My buckets are pretty pristine, though- and don't have any odors. Of course, if I'm only making a gallon or two or three, I use a smaller primary that has never had beer in it. I got some frosting buckets (about 3 gallons) from the local bakery in the grocery store.

Cheese- this is probably going to be the best tasting melomel ever, and you'll spend the rest of your life trying to recreate it. I bet your og is higher than you think- 12 pounds of honey and some fruit? Can promash calculate the s.g.?
Let us know how this comes out- I think it's going to be great.

Lorena

Old 01-24-2007, 01:09 PM   #14
Cheesefood
Recipes 

I still haven't pitched the yeast. I woke up two hours late this morning and had NO TIME to worry about brew stuff. I'll either pitch it on lunch or when i get home late tonight.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Cool Shirts.

Old 01-24-2007, 04:34 PM   #15
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper Brewmistress
No, I don't. I just use the same buckets. I only primary my wine until the s.g. is 1.020 or so, and that's usually about 4 days at most. My buckets are pretty pristine, though- and don't have any odors. Of course, if I'm only making a gallon or two or three, I use a smaller primary that has never had beer in it. I got some frosting buckets (about 3 gallons) from the local bakery in the grocery store.

Lorena
3 gallon frosting buckets? Brilliant! Going to look for some today. I want to do 3 gallon test batches and those would be perfect.

Cheezefood. Sorry for hijacking your thread.

I'll be very interested to see how your melomel turns out. I'm thinking about making some one day.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 01-27-2007, 05:27 PM   #16
Cheesefood
Recipes 

It took a while for fermentation to start since I had to split the yeast between two carboy, but it's churning along now. I sniffed the airlock and it smells wonderful. The blueberries are sweet, not sour or acidic and the blackberry honey adds great character.

I'll follow up with this one in about 3-4 months when I rack and take a reading on it, then in another 6 months+ when I bottle it. Rich, I plan on letting it sit for another year but I'd be happy to swap something with you for a tester bottle and an aging bottle.

As soon as I rack and wash the yeast and make a fresh starter, I'm going to make another mel. If it tastes as good as the must tasted, and as good as it's smelling, I can easily see myself building a wine rack in the basement and stocking up on mels.

Cool Shirts.

Quick Reply