Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Fruit mead/melomels etc etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2007, 03:32 PM   #1
fatbloke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Fruit mead/melomels etc etc.

As summer kicks in, there seem to be a number of soft summer fruit in season now.

So I was wondering if theres any set ratio of fruit to water to obtain the correct (?) level of "fruit juice" for melomel/fruit mead making ?????

Having looked around, it would appear that the recipes I've managed to find use between 1.5 and 2 kg per 4.5 litres (that'd be about 3 to 4 lb per gallon - I don't think it'd make any difference whether it's UK/Imperial gallons/lb's or US gallons/lb's as I believe that the ratio would work out the same despite the US measurements being smaller than the UK/Imperial equivalents i.e. 4.55 litres = 1 UK/Imperial gallon).

I suspect that a wine/mead made using metric measurements might be a little sweeter, because of the differences i.e. 1 Kg = 2.2lb's UK/Imperial so in a basic mead I'd actually use a little more honey etc etc.

It's just that I wondered if there was a "tried and tested" ratio to work to, or does it depend on the fruit ???

does anyone know please ??

regards

fatbloke

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply