Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Fresh pressed apple juice for Cyser question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
ruger12pk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fresh pressed apple juice for Cyser question

Im going to attempt my first apple cyser. I just refridgerated 4 gallons of fresh pressed (last night) apple juice. How long will it last refridgerated? Should I go ahead and pastureize it by simmering and then re-refridgerate or start the batch immediatly? Im very concerned with the sanitary conditions...do I need to sulfate this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks all!

"I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, I love only that which they defend.”

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
LightningInABottle
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would not heat it up. Just use campden tablets 1 per gallon of cider you are going to use. I believe that if you heat it you will cause a waxy haze that will not clear. The cider mill I went to uses flash pasturizing now because it became state law recently. I reallywanted to get non-pasturized so consider yourself lucky!

I started a cyser last month using the following recipe.
3 1/2 gallons pasturized cider from the mill
16 pounds of honey (approximately 1 1/2 gallons)
5 cinnamon sticks (probably way too much but the SWMBO like cinnamon)
1 packet EC-1118 yeast
5 campden tablets
Pectic enzyme (I think instructions called for 1 tsp per gallon)

I put the cider, honey, cinnamon, pectic enzyme and campden tablets in a carboy and shook it till the campden tablets dissolved. Waited 24 hours and then pitched the yeast. The airlock was bubbling nicely 8 hours later. It smells the best out of all the ferments I have going.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:49 PM   #3
ruger12pk
Recipes 

Thanks Lightning! Ive got campden...Ive got all four gallons in the fridge right now and Ive got campden...should I go ahead and crush one into all four gallons now? The reason I ask is that it looks like it will not be until the first of the month for me to get the other ingredients....

"I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, I love only that which they defend.”

Old 10-22-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
LightningInABottle
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'd freeze the cider. Then thaw it and add the campden tabs a day before you pitch the yeast. Hopefully you have room in the freezer. Unpasturized cider with no preservatives starts turning in the fridge after about a week. That or try to get your ingredients right away.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:17 AM   #5
digdan

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Why can't you just toss that stuff in a carboy and toss in some yeast? Drink Fresh

Old 10-23-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
Beeropolis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdan View Post
Why can't you just toss that stuff in a carboy and toss in some yeast? Drink Fresh
That's what I did.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
LightningInABottle
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I wouldn't be cyser then. I'm making a graff right now because I wan't something to drink in the short term.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:30 AM   #8
Torg
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It would be cider not cyser. Cyser is a melomel, or fruit juice and honey. In particular apple juice and honey.

If the apple juice was fresh pressed use campden to remove any wild yeast that are on the skins. You don't want to heat it up, it will release pectin. In fact you may even want to add some pectic enzyme to it.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:35 AM   #9
ruger12pk
Recipes 

Well, its on its way..I used the Ken Schramm "Fall Bounty Cyser" recipe but added 3 cinnamon sticks into the mix....I just pitched the D-47 so its a go for lift off! as it were!

Quick Reply