Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > freezing mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #11
djamp1983
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I'm so going to do this with one of my upcoming batches. I'm curious to find out the ratio of product to waste this will come up with.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #12
TheBrewingMedic
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
Are you going to get a tasty product out of freeze concentrating?
I think you could, but you would have to plan the recipe pretty carefully, know what you want your end product to taste like then formulate it to be near dry and have a milder or weaker flavor pre-freezing, that way when it concentrates it doesnt become cloying and insipid. Something like a jaom I would imagine would become like cough syrup when concentrated but a 1.015 traditional clover mead could become a decent dessert sipper.

Or it could all taste like crap and be ok to get hammered with as a mixer

Old 01-26-2013, 03:46 AM   #13
rstanavech
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I froze just under a gallon and resulted about 3/4 of a 2 liter bottle full.

I didn't plan on freezing it. It was kind of a last minute thing. But after having several people sample it, they all said it was really good. Sweet with a pleasant after warmth. Not too much of a bite but definitely alcoholic.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #14
gayleygoo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

would that make a sort of honey liqueur drink? added to cream and spices it could make something like a honey Irish cream drink.

Last edited by Yuri_Rage; 01-27-2013 at 11:49 AM. Reason: legal discussion belongs in a separate thread

Old 01-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #15
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 599 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstanavech View Post
I know if mead is ran through a still it would be honeyshine.

Freeze concentration is a form of distilling from what i understand. And well.....
It's a legal gray area. The site admin has decided to allow its discussion and prefers the terminology, "freeze concentration." If you'd like to explore the legal debate further, please take that discussion to another thread and let this be a technical discussion of the process and its results.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #16
EndlessPurple
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The technical discussion of the process would be interesting to hear. You just freeze the container and then pour out what? I am guessing the concentrated liquid that has a lower freezing temp.

Does the excess water seperate out at one time or is this a process that is done over and over removing a little water at a time?

Does it work with non-alcoholic drinks (obviously not water)? I know you can steam out the water when cooking for a concentrated liquid, but cold would be an interesting alternative for beverages.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #17
TheBrewingMedic
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessPurple View Post
The technical discussion of the process would be interesting to hear. You just freeze the container and then pour out what? I am guessing the concentrated liquid that has a lower freezing temp.

Does the excess water seperate out at one time or is this a process that is done over and over removing a little water at a time?

Does it work with non-alcoholic drinks (obviously not water)? I know you can steam out the water when cooking for a concentrated liquid, but cold would be an interesting alternative for beverages.
Fractional freezing, which is one of the more technical terms for freeze concentrating (kinda sounds cooler too) can be done a couple of ways. The most common is litterally just throwing your base liquid in the freezer and every 24 hours or so taking it out and letting it pour into another container, letting it drip until the ice starts dripping clear liquid, then discard the ice and do it again. That'll work but it's inefficient, labor intensive and just sounds like a pain in the a$$.

The other commonly used method requires watching it a little more closely and is easiest if a bucket is used. every 8-12 hours after the brew is chilled enough to form ice crystals, a sanitized (yeah even at this stage i'd be a sanitizer junky) slotted spoon, is used to scoop any ice crystals off the surface and discard them.

I'm sure there are other methods, these are just two that have been explained to me. the second the common procedure for ice beers.

as far as the abv change....A good friend and biochem guy told me he isn't sure if reduction directly corrilates with increased abv. My simple mind thinks if you reduce in half it should double it. He said that may not be the case, and would have to look at some numbers and think about it. Then spouted out a bunch of big words above my simple medical pay grade and said he would get back to me

Old 01-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #18
Unferth
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I'm making some applejack currently. It isn't quite so complicated as all that. I made one gallon of cider, put it in a milk jug, threw it in the freezer for 24 hrs, cut off the jug and stuck the ice over a colander to drain in the freezer.

I like the honey jack idea, might give it a shot.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #19
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrewingMedic View Post
Fractional freezing, which is one of the more technical terms for freeze concentrating

I'm sure there are other methods, these are just two that have been explained to me. the second the common procedure for ice beers.

as far as the abv change....A good friend and biochem guy told me he isn't sure if reduction directly corrilates with increased abv. My simple mind thinks if you reduce in half it should double it. He said that may not be the case, and would have to look at some numbers and think about it. Then spouted out a bunch of big words above my simple medical pay grade and said he would get back to me
Yeah for a straight reasoning, if you reduce the water by 1/2 but keep the amount of alcohol the same, it should double ABV, I can see this not happening because some alcohol might get trapped in the ice.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:41 PM   #20
nitack
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACbrewer

Yeah for a straight reasoning, if you reduce the water by 1/2 but keep the amount of alcohol the same, it should double ABV, I can see this not happening because some alcohol might get trapped in the ice.
Since we're talking numbers here we should be more precise. It it not about reducing water by half, it is about reducing total volume by half. The alcohol shouldn't freeze, so assuming you don't have any trapped in the ice, then yes halving the total volume should double the ABV.

Quick Reply