Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Forgotten Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
VaporPhreak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Forgotten Mead

So I'm new to forum, just found it today as a matter of fact, and thought it would be a great place to inquire about a batch I made last year. I brewed up a basic mead (3lbs Wildflower Honey, 1 Gallon water, 1 pack lalvin D-47) and set in the basement to ferment. Well, I also then proceeded to make a few gallons of hard cider and completely forgot about the mead. Here we are 10 months later and Im cleaning out the basement and find the old batch.
Now the airlock still contained enough vodka to keep air out, but its been sitting on the yeast cake for 9 months+ now. My question is, should I even dare to try this stuff? I have always been told sitting on the yeast cake for even a couple of weeks longer than it should will yield a very bitter nasty wine/mead/beer, so I am a bit nervous and yet a bit curious. What are your thoughts fellow brewers?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
derek81
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPhreak
So I'm new to forum, just found it today as a matter of fact, and thought it would be a great place to inquire about a batch I made last year. I brewed up a basic mead (3lbs Wildflower Honey, 1 Gallon water, 1 pack lalvin D-47) and set in the basement to ferment. Well, I also then proceeded to make a few gallons of hard cider and completely forgot about the mead. Here we are 10 months later and Im cleaning out the basement and find the old batch.
Now the airlock still contained enough vodka to keep air out, but its been sitting on the yeast cake for 9 months+ now. My question is, should I even dare to try this stuff? I have always been told sitting on the yeast cake for even a couple of weeks longer than it should will yield a very bitter nasty wine/mead/beer, so I am a bit nervous and yet a bit curious. What are your thoughts fellow brewers?
<~~~new to Mead
I'd try it lol bit that's just me

Old 06-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 387

mead is different. people usually say 2 years is a good place to start for aging meads.

The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 06-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
delvorak
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You should definitely try it. Worst case you spit it out.

It's my understanding that you can let mead sit on most yeasts for quite a long time without any negative effects. The only one that I've heard causes problems is 71B.

Scott

Old 06-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
Goofynewfie
Recipes 

Liked 261 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Go for it, I have heard of it sitting longer and still being ok

You cant always be young but you can always be immature

Old 06-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I normally start my ciders in 15 gallon primaries in oct-nov, amd don't rack into secondaries until march or april. I havn't noticed any ill effects. I certainly wouldn't be afraid to at least taste it.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
Insomniac
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Sounds like a good time to bottle... Give it a little taste and if its ok rack it a few times to get rid of all that yeast.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6253 Times on 5427 Posts
Likes Given: 803

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPhreak View Post
I have always been told
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek81 View Post
<~~~new to Mead
Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
people usually say .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofynewfie View Post
I have heard
grrrrrrrrrr......

One big problem with homebrewing is the "I've heard" or "I read" passing along of what may or may not be good information.

Vapor - 9-10 months isn't the end of the world; I personally like to rack off the lees (yeast) after fermentation is done, and again when it clears.

I'm guessing it's pretty clear now?

You could go ahead and either rack, or just bottle.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #9
VaporPhreak
Recipes 

WOW and Thanks for the responses. You all are fast! I think I'm gonna like this place.
AZ, I know what you mean, and thats why I came here to ask the more experienced folks.

I will pop it open sometime this weekend and pull of a bit to taste. If its decent I will rack and bottle. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Thanks again everyone!!

Old 06-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #10
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
Vapor - 9-10 months isn't the end of the world; I personally like to rack off the lees (yeast) after fermentation is done, and again when it clears.
and where did you get that information from?
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Quick Reply