Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > forgot to put water in airlock

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
andthatsthat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default forgot to put water in airlock

So i started brewing the light lemonade mead about two weeks ago and never put water in my airlock. Am i at extreme risk for infection?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
rhoadsrage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

If your fermentation took off quickly then you should have a flow of CO2 out of the air lock making it more difficult for infectious critters to get in. I would be more concerned if it was in secondary and you didn't put water/sanitizer in the airlock.

However if it took several days for your fermentation to take off then that is a rip breeding ground for infectious critters to come in and play.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
MedsenFey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

With most lemonade batches, the pH is low enough that spoilage organism are unlikely no matter what. You can fement meads with no problem in open fermenters so I wouldn't worry. Just fill the airlock going forward to prevent oxidation as the CO2 production winds down.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
mightynintendo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 57

No.

Now RDWHAHB

'Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne.'

—Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions

Old 05-27-2010, 02:51 PM   #5
andthatsthat
Recipes 

fermentation took off quickly so i dont think i have to worry about that. thanks for the info gentlemen, i thought i had a disaster on my hands!

Quick Reply