New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Floaties and Hydrometer Readings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
nitack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Floaties and Hydrometer Readings

I've got a cyser going right now that will probably resemble a cider more because I did't put too much honey it in (three gallons, only four pounds of honey). Started at a 1.080 gravity five days ago, today it is at 1.028. Nice drop.

I want some residual sugars, aiming for a FG in the area of 1.010 or 1.008. As I'm taking gravity readings today i have a lot of floaty yeast and probably apple bits in the measuring tube. I'm wonderig if those are affecting the reading. After all the Hydrometer works because it is calibrated to messure relative density, with 0 being water. If there are other solids in the mix intuitively that should change the readings as the density is changed. So my question for a more experienced mazer is, how much can that throw off the readings? 1 or 2 points, no worries, 5 or 10, well towards the end that could completely throw my desired OG off.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
MarshmallowBlue
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I think bigger chunks would effect the volume of the sample (unless its clinging to the hydrometer) and not so much the difference in solution from water. If you're concerned, test another sample without chunks and log the difference. My guess is that it would be fairly miniscule. Plus if theres still bits floating around it isn't done settling out yet. You won't want to worry about your FG til your ready to backsweeten in terms of having it at 1.010 etc.

Lifetime goal: 7,777 gallons --- gallons made 41
My Home Brew Blog
My Home-brewing Pinterest < It's a beautiful thing.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 2147

No, floaties don't have an effect on your reading. Only matter dissolved into the solution can affect that.

Quick Reply