HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > First-timer - procedure check!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #11
Hagroth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofynewfie View Post
You were right the first time. For some reason I didnt even think about the total volume. Sad part is I just made 2 batches over the weekend and did the correct volumes. It is lbs/( gallons of resulting must)
Ok, thank you! I'll aim at 3,6 gallons/(gallons of resulting must), which is what I had originally!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagroth View Post

Will my method of checking gravity and the current status - extracting a little bit of it from the tap of the bucket - work? Or do you have any better suggestions? My fermenting buckets aren't transparent so you can't put a floating meter in there unfortunately. Maybe I could open the lid and put my sanitized meter in there anyway? Or should the lid stay closed at all costs? Also, how do you recommend I check the sugar levels, using the hydrometer on the extracted sample?
Be sanitary and you will be fine. Just don't open it up just to oogle. Make sure you honey is thoroughly dissolved and mixed in before taking your initial SG. Record that number, than when your mead finsihed you will take another SG reading. You can than calculate the ABV%.

About the SNA:
Like I said, I'll be gone for the first week. Is there any risk that my must will reach its fermenting mid-point or that the sugar levels will have been depleted below 50% within a week?
Depends on temperature, I'd add the required amount of nutrient up front. Check the SG when you get back, if you are still at 50% or less you can add a bit more and give it a good stir.

Oh, and one more thing! I'd need to check the gravity before I start so that I can measure the resulting amount of alcohol, right? What kinds of measurements should I do before starting the fermenting process?
you just need the SG as i described above and perhaps test the ph.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #13
Hagroth
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Oh, can I ask you one more question? This isn't urgent at all however: I chose to fill my bathtub with about 30 litres of water, enough to submerge all my tools into it. I then applied the recommended dose of Star San. I didn't just submerge and wash the equipment before usage, but I used this bath as a sort of storage for all my equipment between usage. For example, I would put my mixing spoon in there, pick it up when I was about to use it, and then put it back in after I'd done my stirring. Star San is supposed to be a no-rinse product, so I never rinsed anything. I just picked it up, shaked it a little bit to get rid of at least some of the foam/solution and then used it.
Also, before I poured my water (the ingredient, that is) into the fermenting buckets, I had washed them thoroughly with a sponge and partial submersion/rotation in the bath. There was a little foam still in there and probably some of the water + Star San solution, but I did shake it a bit to get rid of as much of it as possible before pouring my water in there.
This leads me to my question: This is no problem is it? They say "Don't fear the foam" and that the foam becomes nutrient or at least digestive for the yeast or something like that. Have you done anything like this when you're making mead?

Thank you!

Quick Reply