New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > First time for mead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 03:35 AM   #1
Kmcogar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default First time for mead

So tomorrow I'm going to my local renaissance festival. I decided I'm gonna buy some honey and make mead for the first time. I have a couple questions though. I want this to be really good!

I guess I'm going for a semi sweet mead. Only a 1 gallon batch. (that honey is expensive!)

I want to make a good one. Not just "joes ancient old mead" or whatever

These people have tons of honey to choose from. Any ideas on a good flavor?!

What yeast should I use? Nutrients?

Amount of honey? Recipe?

Hell, maybe even a quick "how to" I want to make a damn good mead!

I'm leaving for basic training for the army October 22nd. Then i have my AIT. I'll be gone for about 6 months so I figured why not make some MEAD!

Any comments would be much appreciated. It would be good to have a present waiting for me for my return home.....then off to who knows where........

Thanks ahead of time!

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 03:45 AM   #2
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 15

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/zoks-award-winning-mead-recipe-215511/ they need to use a little more sense on ren fests here in texas. dress up in medieval european costumes, long sleeve wool, in texas in the summer? really?!?

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 09-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Out of all the meads I have made this is my favorite so far. It beats out my JOAM, my Bochet, my spiced Pumpkin & Vanilla Chamomile. It never even made it to bottles. I just tapped strait from the secondary and had glasses from there.

Spiced Chai Mead (1 gallon)

3 lb of Honey (Any fruited Varietal honey would work well. I used a local Honey that is mainly from clover, honey suckle and bugle vine)
10 bags of Earl Grey Black Tea
1 ½ tsp ground Cardamom
½ tsp of whole black Peppercorns
2 whole cloves
2 sticks of Cinnamon
1 Madagascar Vanilla Bean (Split in half, seeds scraped, added to the must and the whole pod thrown in)
3tbs of Ground Ginger
1tsp of yeast nutrients
½ tsp of yeast energizer
1tsp of Acid Blend
Water to one gallon
Yeast “Lalvin D47” (If your room temps will be above 68*F then I might suggest Lalvin 71B or Lalvin K1V-1116)

Mix the Honey water & nutrients all together leaving enough head space to add your yeast starter as explained below. The energizer will be added when 1/3 of the fermentation is done. Add the entire spices/tea/vanilla bean to a nylon bag and place in the must. The powered ingredients can be added directly to the must. Then create a yeast starter:

1 cup water
¼ cup of honey
½ tsp of yeast nutrients
5 chopped up fine raisins

Sprinkle the Yeast on top and cover with a paper towel for 8 hours. Then pitch the yeast starter into the must. There should be a lot of activity in the starter after 1 – 2 hours. For larger batches of this recipe “3 or more gallons”, Increase the water to 2 cups, Honey to ½ cup & 10 raisins.

Leave this in the primary until the day before you leave out. Then rack to secondary and can remove the bag of spices. Let that bulk age and 6 months later should have very nice spiced mead served well hot or cold.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 09-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
Kmcogar
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpolis
Out of all the meads I have made this is my favorite so far. It beats out my JOAM, my Bochet, my spiced Pumpkin & Vanilla Chamomile. It never even made it to bottles. I just tapped strait from the secondary and had glasses from there.

Spiced Chai Mead (1 gallon)

3 lb of Honey (Any fruited Varietal honey would work well. I used a local Honey that is mainly from clover, honey suckle and bugle vine)
10 bags of Earl Grey Black Tea
1 ½ tsp ground Cardamom
½ tsp of whole black Peppercorns
2 whole cloves
2 sticks of Cinnamon
1 Madagascar Vanilla Bean (Split in half, seeds scraped, added to the must and the whole pod thrown in)
3tbs of Ground Ginger
1tsp of yeast nutrients
½ tsp of yeast energizer
1tsp of Acid Blend
Water to one gallon
Yeast “Lalvin D47” (If your room temps will be above 68*F then I might suggest Lalvin 71B or Lalvin K1V-1116)

Mix the Honey water & nutrients all together leaving enough head space to add your yeast starter as explained below. The energizer will be added when 1/3 of the fermentation is done. Add the entire spices/tea/vanilla bean to a nylon bag and place in the must. The powered ingredients can be added directly to the must. Then create a yeast starter:

1 cup water
¼ cup of honey
½ tsp of yeast nutrients
5 chopped up fine raisins

Sprinkle the Yeast on top and cover with a paper towel for 8 hours. Then pitch the yeast starter into the must. There should be a lot of activity in the starter after 1 – 2 hours. For larger batches of this recipe “3 or more gallons”, Increase the water to 2 cups, Honey to ½ cup & 10 raisins.

Leave this in the primary until the day before you leave out. Then rack to secondary and can remove the bag of spices. Let that bulk age and 6 months later should have very nice spiced mead served well hot or cold.
Thank you do much! You told me all I need to know. I'll definitely do this recipe!

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Quick Reply